needs help with aftermarket stereo

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 03:44 PM
Super Moderator

Default needs help with aftermarket stereo

I purchased a aftermarket stereo for my 2003 SAAB 93 and ive seen people online with their dashkit so it iwll fit into the regular slot where the original stereo use to be but I can find them anywhere!and i mean anywhere...idk what to do can someone help me with maybe a site or a place or a homemade way or something!!!.i need something like this picture

[IMG]local://upfiles/1073/97F6717CA1214B19BE0032DEC652BFA1.jpg[/IMG]
Old 12-01-2007, 04:04 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: needs help with aftermarket stereo

http://www.genuinesaab.com/catalog/p...e79109dfc81100

I know this is for a 9-5, but I'm not sure what the 03 Radio looks like...could be similar. If all fails getting one fabricated is nothing difficult.
Old 12-01-2007, 07:04 PM

Have you checked Crutchfield? www.crutchfield.com
Old 12-15-2007, 03:52 PM
Super Moderator

update to my stereo its going to be tougher than I ever thought...for some reason the antenna in the car is digital and I need a ...coaxial...?? cable or im going to lose my am/fm radio...which is ok b/c im going to xm all the way...also im losing that lil green screen near the windshield that has the temp and all on it...imma lose my onstar(which I never use anyway) and I wont be able to use any of the functions on my steering wheel...other than that im good! which im fine with b/c now it will be easy for me to install my system and etc. I realize very few people do accessories to saabs...(especially my style) but I see cars as a blank canvas and love doing things like this...ill put up pics or something soon all I have done so far is a BOV,TINT and RIMS
Old 12-15-2007, 07:45 PM
Super Moderator

well....I just opted out to put a PC in my car with a touchscreen...nice overthewinter project. But I intend to keep my steering wheel controls and all:-D
Old 12-16-2007, 12:12 PM

The other way to upgrade and not take out your deck is to get one of those adaptor boxesthat allows you to keep your stock radio, and add on new stereo components... That's what I've been thinking about doing to our '04 9-3 Convertible. That way you keep all the functions that your stock radio gives you, and you get better sound.
Old 12-18-2007, 09:41 AM
Super Moderator

hmm yea...I have the radio with the infotainment screen...I mean its nice tells you the songs and all of that...I didnt realzie they make things where you can hook adapter boxes up to...but the place that is doing my install I already put a down payment on the job and I purchased a headunit and all the adapters to run xm and all.....maybe that would have been a cheaper way to go..
Old 12-19-2007, 06:17 PM

The place that you put the downpayment for the install should be able to get the dash kit and all the wiring/boxes to help you keep your infotainment screen... I know there is a place out here that said they could do that for me if I want to go that route. I don't know where they'd get everything from though...
Old 12-19-2007, 09:55 PM
Super Moderator

dealership most likely sells the needed harnesses.
Old 12-20-2007, 07:55 AM
Super Moderator

I really dont mind losing my infotainment screen..I paid decent money for the headunit I bought and since it plays dvd/cd/mp3 and all of that its gonna be better than the infotainment radio I have in my saab now.Im just hoping I can maybe sell the infortainment radio and make some money to help cover the cost of installation. if a person has a regular radio can he install a infotainment to replace it? Im thinking of putting my saabs radio on ebay.well the install shop called SAAB HAWAI'I and they HIGHLY recommended not doing it...they didnt even want me to put rims on my car they told me to keep saab rims...and when the install shop was asking questions bout the fuse boxes and all these questions about the radio they were real mean about it...if I could go back id get a wiring harness and keep my saab radio but since I purchased a headunit/xm radio and xm radio doesnt even work on the islands...but hopefully will soon which was my fault...but ya

Quick Reply: needs help with aftermarket stereo