SAAB 9 3 NEWBIE QUESTIONS - NEED INFO

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2006, 12:27 AM

Default SAAB 9 3 NEWBIE QUESTIONS - NEED INFO

Hi, I've decided I want to buy a Saab. I also have decided that I want a 9 3 and most likely a convertible. My questions are: 1. What are the differences in the saab 9 3 years. Any years that I should get or stay away from? Also, which is better, a stick or an automatic? Any known problems with the trannys or clutches? Any known engine problems or turbo problems? What maintenance costs are involved in owning this car? For example: 60K tuneup costs how much and what parts are replaced (timing belt) etc.... I also noticed some are called HOT, which I am assuming means High Output Turbo whereas some mention Low Pressure Turbo, which one is better and why?

How long does a convertible top last before it starts to leak and how much to replace a top?

Any answers would be appreciated as I would like to buy one within the next month.

THanks!!!
Old 05-03-2006, 06:16 PM

Default RE: SAAB 9 3 NEWBIE QUESTIONS - NEED INFO

first and foremost, dont waste your time in this forum. one would like to think that saabforums.com would have a knowledgeable base but from what ive found, everyone likes to read, not post. second, GM took over saab in 03 to the present. if you like GM's track record of lousy automobiles, by all means buy a new saab. GM was always partial owner, but they are full blown saab owners now. the only new saab i would reccomend is the 9-2x(WRX wagon). i sell subarus and know they are OUTSTANDING when it comes to reliability. as for stick vs auto, dont ask random people on the internet which transmission to get. get what you want. if you drop the clutch every time you accelerate, your clutch is going to go fast. if you drive like a grandma, itll last forever. yeah, ho is high output. dont post in here anymore. youll have 300 views with 1 post. not worth the time checkign it.