Sentronic?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 01:31 PM

Default Sentronic?

I've searched high and low and I have yet to find a review of the Sentronic transmission. I'm looking for the 5 speed that would come on the 2004 Aero. Can I get some input? Does it shift quickly? Is it reliable? How does it compare to other manumatics? Thanks!
Old 01-09-2008, 12:35 AM

Default RE: Sentronic?

i have a sentronic trans on my 07 2.0T, i dont know how the long term durability is, but i can tell you that it shifts fine. its not a F1 gearbox, and i cant compare it to another tip-tronic style trans, but i'm happy with it.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:40 AM

is there much of a lag between the time you select a gear and the time the gear is engaged? I know this is a problem on my friends V70, it gets a little annoying. I want to be able to have fun on the twisty roads but retain the comfort and efficiency of an automatic. Perhaps the fact that Sentronic is achieving better mpg than the manual is an indication of faster shift times...any other input?
Old 01-09-2008, 04:42 PM

since there is a computer in between, the upshifts can lag a little if you're not at the right RPM, but downshifts are quick and have virtually no lag (twisty roads are fun)
Old 01-10-2008, 08:05 PM

From just test driving a 2004 Aero, as Titan said the downshifts seem to be pretty quick. The DSG-type automated manual transmissions such as the twin-clutch S-Tronic on the FWD Audi A3s are much quicker but that is a totally different animal. I thought that the upshifts seemed to lag a bit more than they do on my Audi A6 with Tiptronic, but seemed about like the BMW Steptronic that I test drove right beforehand (though the reversed up-downshift pattern bugged me on the BMW). It could have been my imagination as I did not have a long time with the car, but for some reason it felt to my like the upshifts semed a little more sluggish from the steering wheel mounted paddles than from the shifter, but I can't imagine why that really would be the case as it is all electronic.