Sideswipe damage?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 10:55 AM

Default Sideswipe damage?

My brother took my car to a conference for his work in DC. He told me last night he sideswiped a parked car. He would not tell me over the phone what happened because he wanted to wait until we could talk in person about it. Now, what exactly should I be expecting to see on my car as far as damage? My imagination kinda runs wild with all kinds of devastating possibilities but realistically, what should I be expecting? Did it do damage to both cars involved most likely? My brother said he left a note for the owner because nobody was home, and hasn't heard from them yet. He said he is afraid to look at the damage. In my mind, I would imagine any kind of impact to a car will damage it, no matter what speed right? I don't know what scares me more, a big dent, crack or scrape on my car, or nothing there at all that is visible to the eye. You know? Should I expect to see a dent, scrape, scratch, scuff, or something else? He said it was a residential type area and he was going slow, how does speed affect this? This car is sooo precious to me and has been so well cared for for so long that I'm afraid of either outcome. If it's scratched, then that means I have to go fix it. If it didn't scratch, I will probably go more crazy because a car that doesn't scratch on impact is a freakshow of a car and I don't want a car like that because it makes me even more paranoid. At least if the damage is visible, I can address the problem right away. But it's superficial damage, it will just make me feel like I have to search for this "hidden" damage for the rest of my life. Any helpful information for this crazy SAAB lover? I guess I'm just asking you kind people for advice becaue the brother doesn't come back until Sunday and I'm kinda losing it. I'm in Vermont and without a car, and he's in DC, and I'm losing it! hahaha. Most websites say that the mirror usually comes off when a car is swiped, but my brother didn't tell me anything yet. I would imagine since the mirror is the outermost part of the car that it would be the very first thing to get hit, and would keep the body of the car from getting hit... but anything can happen, and there's nothing I can really do but ask you nice nice people what I should be expecting. Thanks in advance to whomever takes the time to help me!
Old 01-15-2008, 10:44 AM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Sideswipe damage?

well what happend?
Old 01-15-2008, 11:04 AM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Sideswipe damage?

all depends on how hard he went at it... post pics once you see it...