VERY IMPORTANT PLEASE READ!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 11:39 PM

Default VERY IMPORTANT PLEASE READ!!!!!

hello i hope you can relate and respond with advice on this problem i have. my turbo on my 2001 93 base refuses to go into the mid area(yellow region) on the turbo meter. its slow to react. only twice have i been able to get it into the yellow and that was in 4th and in 5th on the highway i got really close to the red. it was defi the higher gear the better chance to get it into the next region. i want to get it checked out but im wondering if anyone else has experinced this same odd problem. feedback would be greatly appreciated
Old 10-06-2008, 07:53 AM

Default RE: VERY IMPORTANT PLEASE READ!!!!!

Mine just started the very same behaviour. Did you get anywhere with it?
Old 10-06-2008, 09:43 AM
Super Moderator

Is there a check engine light? Any other wierd behavior? I would say that it's one of the three: 1). Boost leak. Solution: inspect all charge piping and vaccum lines. Replace all cracked lines. 2). Boost being electronically limited by the ECU. There should be a check engine light...but might not be. Try disconnecting the battery for 30 seconds and than giving it a try. 3). the wastegate actulator became detached... take the heat shield off and look at the turbo. If the arm of the actulator is not attached to the wastegate flap than you need to reconnect it and get a new clip.
Old 10-06-2008, 10:18 AM

Thanks for the reply, Roto.
Is there a check engine light? YES
Any other wierd behavior? NO. Exactly as the first poster described.
But I will mention this: it began immediately after I had it in for our government-required emissions test. I called the garage this morning and they said they did not open the hood. They only test from the exhaust pipe, with the vehicle on the treadmill. But based on your first suggestion, I gotta wonder...
Thanks much for this. I will explore your suggestions.
One last question: am I damaging my vehicle by driving it in this condition?

I would say that it's one of the three: 1). Boost leak. Solution: inspect all charge piping and vaccum lines. Replace all cracked lines. 2). Boost being electronically limited by the ECU. There should be a check engine light...but might not be. Try disconnecting the battery for 30 seconds and than giving it a try. 3). the wastegate actulator became detached... take the heat shield off and look at the turbo. If the arm of the actulator is not attached to the wastegate flap than you need to reconnect it and get a new clip.
Old 10-06-2008, 01:21 PM
Super Moderator

If there's a CEL than you need to find out what the code is. Go to a different shop and have them tell you the code for the CEL. Than come back on here and I should be able to help out more knowing what the code is. It's possible that the timing was just right, but it's also possible that you're deling with a dishonest shop...things like this don't just happen out of nowhere usually.
Old 10-06-2008, 01:26 PM

Ok. I'll get on it. Thanks again.
Old 10-06-2008, 04:49 PM

Roto Helps A lot everywhere greatest admin ever.
But I have had to deal with these shops. I have actually had my intake filter stolen from a shop once they fixed the problem and took what they wanted as well lol
Old 10-06-2008, 05:02 PM
Super Moderator

Not all shops are crooked...but too many are. I got into cars because of untrustworthy shops. Now I can tell a good one from a bad one just by visiting and having a convo. Have a relationship with your mechanic. Know him, know when his BD is, know how many kids he has, etc. Just having a friend in the shop helps a lot. Me and my mech sometimes hit up the bar...may be once or twicea year, but ever since we started that I've had no issues with getting the car done or getting a loaner (which isn't provided for any other customers by the way).
Old 10-06-2008, 06:55 PM

I'm about to meet my new mechanic. He comes recommended from a friend who has had a saab for 20 years. I'll definitely take him for a drink after we do business.

Roto, my brother put a reader on the car and got this number: 1105.
Old 10-06-2008, 07:36 PM
Super Moderator

That's a code for no boost pressure. Open the hood and take off the heatshield covering the turbo. Look at the wastegate actulator...make sure the arm is attached to the wastegate. If unsure what to look for take a picture of the turbo and post it. If it's attached than start the car, pop the hood and rev the engine a little by twisting the throttle control. You're looking for any kind of whistling sounds...

Quick Reply: VERY IMPORTANT PLEASE READ!!!!!