Windshield washer fluid out the bumper!?!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 06:17 PM

Default Windshield washer fluid out the bumper!?!

I bought a used 06 9-3 last night, and stopped at Advance to get some washer fluid. I got home, put on the new blades, and filled the windshield washer reservoir - noticing it was a little loose when took the cap off. A minute later, I saw all of the washer fluid running down my driveway. When I bent down to investigate, I noticed that the front grille (the center one with the Saab logo) was pushed in and a little dislodged.

I'm new to the Saab experience and love the car so far... aside from this VERY annoying situation. I was a proud owner of a 2003 VW Golf that had no known issues... hope I didn't get screwed here.
Old 03-19-2009, 07:50 PM
Super Moderator

Have you ran a carfax on the car prior to buying? Sounds like it could have been in an accident and the washed tank is cracked? Was it through a dealer or a private party? Did you buy it AS IS or with warranty? You WANT to take it back and have that fixed along with anything else that could be wrong with it. You might want a second opinion from an independant local shop as well to make your case.
Old 03-19-2009, 08:38 PM

Thanks for the reply, Roto. It seems everyone on here turns to you with the tough ones...

I bought it from an independent dealer, and there is still a mfg warranty. Only way I would have done it.

I ran the carfax and talked to the dealership it had been serviced at before I bought it. The service mgr told me everything they had done (every single service record) and said the car was in great shape last time it was in. It's only gone a little over 1000 miles since it's last service at that Saab dealership, per carfax. Everything else in the car is super clean. Engine runs very well - no ticks, no clicks, no hums or rattles. All the parts look factory-fit; I know my way around cars a little. The grille part is the black interior part of the grille - it looks like someone leaned on it & pushed it out of the chromed frame. As far as the fluid, I think it's either a loose hose connection or an overflow. My driveway is pretty steep, and I was parked facing down. I tried the wiper fluid function afterwords, and it came out of all the nossels... this one's got me. ?

I was hoping I wouldn't have to put a horror post on here as my first.
Old 03-19-2009, 08:51 PM
Super Moderator

Whatever it is - have the dealer check it out. That's what warranty is for. I've never heard of the washer tank overflowing on an incline.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:28 AM

Taking it to a dealer is my next step.

I had a 03 VW Golf, and the VWVortex forums were VERY helpful while I had that car - just thought to check here to see if anyone could possibly help (or have experienced anything like this) before I went that route.

I really wish my first post said, "I just got my 06 9-3 a few days ago and I LOVE this car! No problems at all! Everything works great! I love the performance & gas mileage!!! WOOHOO!!!" Instead, I had to put up the "problem" post. Oh well. Hopefully, my next one will say everything is ok & it was just a little hose that needed replaced. I'll let you know.

Thanks again for the quick replies, Roto... this 9-3 Nu-B appreciates it!
Old 03-20-2009, 08:31 AM
Super Moderator

Eh, I try to be helpful, but the only thing I'd tell you to do if it wasn't under warranty would be "pull the bumper off and inspect it". I don't have to tell you that since you can have that done free at the dealer Just don't let them charge you anything for this.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:59 AM

Last note for this thread! WOOHOO!
The Service Manager at my local Saab dealership called and told me the fill tube to the washer fluid reservoir is a separate piece from the actual reservoir tank & that they come loose sometimes. If you're parked on an incline and you fill it to the point where they connect.... you'll get your driveway cleaned, like I did.

Also, he said the center grilles get dislodged very easily & that they see it all the time. No worries of front end damage. Whew!

I am going to take it in for servicing, and will have them go over the car, just to be sure it's all good. Thanks again for the info & help. I'm sure this won't be the last time I post on here.

Happy motoring!
Old 03-20-2009, 01:04 PM
Super Moderator

Well good to hear...I didn't realize that the filler neck could easily come off....never seen that one.