2nd start is the charm

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 04:29 PM

Default 2nd start is the charm

I've been having a recent problem with my Saab 9-5. Its a 2002 linear with about 51k on the odometer. When I go to start it for the first time in the morning, it cranks and starts to fire but only runs for about 5 seconds and it is really rough. I then try to start it again and it cranks and runs normally with no problem. It seems like the issue is more pronounced when it has been cool or damp the night before. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Old 09-26-2008, 07:47 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: 2nd start is the charm

when was the last time you did a full tuneup? Plugs/filters/oil?
Old 10-05-2008, 02:18 PM

I'm planning on replacing the plugs, air filter, and the oil tomorrow.

Couple related questions/updates- I tried to start the car the other day and the first start did as described in my previous post. Try again and the same thing. After the third attempt the car started but I also noted a distinct fuel smell, like the car was flooded. Would this indicate something other than just a tune up.

I bought the car used in 2006 and have noticed a reference to a DI recall on the 9-5 model. Could it be that I have a faulty DI and the car never got recalled?

Thanks.
Old 10-05-2008, 02:23 PM

My Friends nissan 04 sentra does that and it happens everytimeI told him as well to change his sparkplugs/oil
,and nothing changed then he took it to the mechanic they said " its perfectly fine" He never looked into it again
His Engine catches the first time and then it does the high low Rpm thing twice and shuts off
Old 10-05-2008, 04:40 PM
Super Moderator

try and do the DI recall if it wasn't done... though it's no the symptom of a dying DI it can certainly help.