Any info on an 03 9-5 V6 ARC?? Issues & questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 10:50 AM

Default Any info on an 03 9-5 V6 ARC?? Issues & questions

I havent posted in a while. Been busy on other projects. But the time has come to replace a timing belt in our 9-5 and I cant find any information about the V6 anywhere. Is there someplace I can look or someone that has anything?

I also needed to ask if anyone knows why when we start the car after sitting overnight it clatters like valves tapping? Newly changed oil, thinking that might be it. Also, on occasion when we start it it will run extremely rough and blow out black smoke. And of course it is 1000 miles out of warranty. I told them about the clattering before though.

I am also losing an extremely small amount of coolant. Not enough that youd even notice and it is not leaking anywhere, but the low coolant light came on recently and I had to top off the tank. Dealer couldnt find anything, but it is a sealed system and thus should not be losing any.

So, any help is appreciated.

Thanks
JOhn
Old 06-25-2007, 12:45 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Any info on an 03 9-5 V6 ARC?? Issues & questions

do you need a DIY for timing belt replacement? Also the V-6's are known to have some problems. I'm sure the coolant is seeping through the headgasket somewhere...
Old 06-25-2007, 04:25 PM

Yes, a DIY on the timing belt would be great. The dealer is quoting $1200. Of course if it goes like my last adventure it might be worth it. Is there a "known problem" write up on the 03 V6 anywhere? I told the service writer I thought the leake was probably a headgasket but he blew me off saying he would take care of me if it got worse after the warranty was up. I called today to set up an appt to get a recall done and he is no longer working there. How convenient!!. The other problem stems back to the dealer too because after the last time we had it there is when it began. When we picked it up it wouldnt stay running the first couple times we started it. I just thought maybe the battery went dead like the last time they had the car and it had to relearn something.

Either way thanks for the info.
John
Old 06-25-2007, 05:44 PM
Super Moderator

has the crankshaft position sensor been replaced? That sounds like that not staying running problem, although I'm not that familiar with the V6. I'm looking for that DIY. I know I saw it.
Old 06-25-2007, 05:52 PM

It only did it that once, and by the time we got it home it ran fine. But the clatter on start up makes me nervous. The rough running on startup and the black smoke has got to be something too.

I have been searching for 2 days for that info, but there doesnt seem to be anything written up about the V6.

Thanks again
John
Old 06-25-2007, 05:52 PM
Super Moderator

Discovered that there's a problem with the oil cooler that is located right in between the heads. That could be the cause of loss of coolant. Unfortunately I can't find a DIY for the timing belt. If you find a local Indy shop, they might lend you a hand. The rough starting also could be the spark plugs.
Old 06-25-2007, 06:01 PM

Where are you finding this stuff?
Old 06-25-2007, 06:28 PM
Super Moderator

I have a useless manual plus the WWW has lots of info))
Old 06-25-2007, 06:30 PM
Super Moderator

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SAAB-...spagenameZWDVWthis here is a COMPLETE manual for your car. The one that the dealership uses. Unfortunately I can't find one for my car, but this should really be helpful to you. Also it contains service bulletins and such.
Old 06-26-2007, 07:14 AM

I checked the coolant this morning. It is losing coolant faster than previously. I am almost thinking that a headgasket could cause all of this. If the coolant leaks into cylinders while it sits over night, then when we start it up it blows it out and runs crappy til it warms up and seals the gasket. I had a Toyota Supra that did this once. The dealer couldnt find the leak while it was under warranty, but I am going to push to get it fixed. I complained of coolant loss several times when it was at the dealer and they blew me off.

I have an appointment Monday to get it in. Lets see what happens. I have a recall to get handled, so it is not a wasted trip.

Quick Reply: Any info on an 03 9-5 V6 ARC?? Issues & questions