Saab 9-5 Dying on Expressway

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 10:44 PM

Default Saab 9-5 Dying on Expressway

Ok so I own a 2001 Saab 9-5 Aero. Just a few weeks ago i was driving on the expressway no problems when out of nowhere my car stops accelerating, the check engine and TCS lights both come on and my car coasts to a stop along the side of the expressway. I try to start up my car again and the engine turns over just fine and almost seems to start up for a second before the rpm's return to zero and i am left stranded. I had the car towed to my mechanic and the next day he looked at it and it started up just fine and he couldn't find anything wrong with any alternator, battery, fuel pump, anything at all. I drove it fine until yesterday when this same thing happened again. I went back to where i left the car overnight and it started up just fine and drove home. Obviously this is a problem though...any ideas??
Old 05-01-2011, 11:38 PM

Question I feel like I have the same problem!

I am having similar issues. I have a 2000 Saab 9-3 with low mileage. Recently the engine and transmission lights have been coming on every once in a while. The car also switches to the limp mode, will not accelerate and comes to a stop. One time after about a two hour drive the engine fan was making a loud sound after the car was off, it also had a burning smell. I have brought it into three different auto repair shops (one that specializes in transmissions), each time the car acts up. They have not been able to find anything, and the car drives fine while they are looking at it. One place told me the transmission fluid had burned. However, the car is not throwing any codes. One time there was a soft code for a computer error. Once they reset it the lights did not come back on. The car also has a new battery and I replaced the transmission mount a few months back. I am not sure what to do or if anyone else has had similar issues. Thank you.

Last edited by jdjmd; 05-01-2011 at 11:51 PM. Reason: more details