Saab 9-5 Wagon versus Volvo V70

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 06:35 PM

Default Saab 9-5 Wagon versus Volvo V70

A common internal debate among many potential "wagon" buyers when going European is the choice between Volvo V70 or Saab 9-5 Wagon. Well, I happen to be one of those riding the fence.

The volvo forum is constantly busy with action, especially in regard to 1999-2002 V70 and their various problems. When your take a look at Edmunds, you find a minimal amount of dissatisfaction with Volvo. On the other hand, Saab does a lot better. Yes, it could use a better placed second cup holder, but hey we all have our quirks.

I recently test drove a certified Volvo 2001 non-turbo and found it boring to drive but ergonomically friendly. Then went and test drove a 2002 Saab 9-5 Aero Wagon and found it sloppy, loud, rough riding thinking that this isn't for me. For the next couple of weeks, I kept looking around for a bargain V70 with no luck. Then I decided to search out Saab again. Ebay, my source of whats available, had plenty of good deals. Convinced to give Saab another try because of the price I test drove another Saab. A 2003 9-5 Wagon Arc and found it a tight, fast, fun machine. I was pleasantly surprised.

In regards to prices, I've been attracted to ebay. I'm amazed at the difference in price among dealers and ebay. Fields Volvo here in Milwaukee wants $21,000 for a 50K certified for a V70 2.4L. Ouch! Concourse Motors listed their Saab at $25K with 40K mileage. Ebay currently has a nice 9-5 aero wagon for buy it now with mid 40K around $16K. Seems like a good deal.

The single reason for the purchase is cargo volume. With my wife and I adopting two greyhounds, the beautifully running, no-hassle Toyota Camry is a tight squeeze.

I would welome your thoughts.

Old 05-24-2006, 01:05 AM

Default RE: Saab 9-5 Wagon versus Volvo V70

The Saab tends to be more of an enthusiasts car. The 9-5 Wagon can even be had with a manual transmission. The V70 is a very nice car that will satisfy your basic transportation needs.

eBay will eat you. I would suggest going to both the Saab and Volvo dealers and checking out their CPO inventories. You can check online as well at volvocars.com or saabusa.com.
Old 05-24-2006, 12:52 PM

Ebay will eat you. What do you mean?
Old 05-24-2006, 07:26 PM

Do not bid on a car you cannot physically examine. Have a friend check it out if you can't.
Old 08-20-2006, 11:36 AM

I just bought my 9-5 through eBay. No problems. If the car is not what you expected when you arrive you just walk away. Or you can get it inspected pre bid. I saved close to $10k by getting it on ebay. Dealers wanted over $23000 for comperable cars with more miles. I bought my 9-5 ARC 3.0T for $13500.

One thing to consider. Although I have not had to get the Saab worked on yet, and it is still under warranty, I DO have experiance with a Volva C70 convertible I used to own. It had major problems at about 40k or so and the dealer is the only place that can diagnose it. I took it to 4 independant VOLVO ONLY shops and all told me the same thing. So off to the dealer I went. $1800 later I had a turbo hose and throttle position sensor replaced. That was just the worst, there were many problems with the car.

I guess this is about the closest direct comparison you will get. I have owned both and can say I know for certain my Volva was a lemon. If you decide to go that route, hopefully you will have better luck. I also own a 99 BMW 328iC convertible that has been super reliable. We finally had to put brakes on it at 100k, and that was mostly because I was lazy. I was tired of cleaning off the brake dust all the time and we replaced them with low dusting pads. The old ones were still ok. That and a $15 airbag sensor in the passenger seat went bad. NOT one thing has gone wrong on this car in 100k. They are far more expensive than Saab though, hence the reason we went with a Saab for our family vehicle. And the paddle shifters on the steering wheel are way cool.
Old 10-05-2006, 02:33 PM

Did you buy a Saab?
I was after a wagon when I bought my car, but ended up with a sedan because I found that there was enough space for my needs.
We have an Afghanhound, he's enjoying the backseat very much.