Saab or Volvo

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 09:35 AM

Default Saab or Volvo

Hi,
I'm a newbie here so please bear with me. I'm looking to buy a 2003 9-5 Aero, 57K miles, good condition (appearance wise). Do you know of any known issues that i need to be aware of? I'm also looking at a 2003 Volvo S80 T6 with about the same miles on it. Any opinions on which one would be a better choice? I appreciate any input offered.
Old 03-02-2007, 11:39 AM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Saab or Volvo

at 57K miles there shouldn't really be to many problems if the car was PROPERLY maintained. Make sure you get all the service records and do an oil change and spark plugs as soon as you get it and you ought to be set. As far as the volvo goes...I like saabs better.
Old 03-02-2007, 11:48 AM

Appreciate your input Roto. Maintenance and reliability wise how are the Saabs? Do they take a lot of TLC? Sorry I haven't owned one before nor know of anyone who does, hence the cautiousness and curiosity. Appreciate your help.
Old 03-02-2007, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator

Well take it from the honda freak: saabs do need more upkeep than a civic. With both a Saab and a Volvo the mechanics will try to rip you off because most of them dont service too many of them, but your should still be under warranty. And when it's out of warranty you can always find a good mechanic...just takes a bit of looking around. I'm 100% satisfied with my saab. I will most likely never buy anything than a saab for my car again, but my wife on the other hand is a diehard Honda gal...saabs are much cheaper to fix than audi or volvo though. And I know of some very good places to get OE parts cheaper than the dealer.
Old 03-02-2007, 12:02 PM

Yeah i love the Hondas too. I got an '03 Pilot that i just love. so in your opinion the Saabs are cheaper to maintain than the Volvo's? Well i have read some horror stories about the S80's but most of them appear to be on the pre-2002 models. I'm leaning towards toe Saab as well. the only prob i have is that i have not physically looked at or test driven it. The dealership where i have located it is a ways away from where i live. Planning on doing it this weekend. Also planning on getting the extended warranty if i decide to go with it. Just have to figure out the logistics.

On the Honda, i need to reprogram all my remote entry keys. Any options you know of other than taking it to the dealiership?
Old 03-02-2007, 12:06 PM
Super Moderator

Unfortunately I'm not familiar with pilots. I was more into compact car tuning (my last one is in my photo gallery). And with a saab you will not be disappointed, but you must maintain it properly. After all it is a turbocharged car.
Old 03-02-2007, 12:14 PM

What is a typical maintenance schedule for the Saabs?
Old 03-02-2007, 12:19 PM
Super Moderator

each particular car has it in the owners manual. I told you about hte main things, but oil changes and spark plugs have to be done religiously.
Old 05-21-2007, 03:50 AM

Hi Chap

having owned both at the moment a 95 2.3hot ,you're talking chalk and cheese,the volvo is very quick smooth, seating you won't sit in better road holding great ,putting down the power ensure good tyres (Eagle F1 ) i found to be the bestand regular tracking ,oil changes, brakes check. thats about it oh! the kids in there little sorts types do get a bit of a shock when looking at your tail lights of a volvo.the motorway police use them and catch most anything. saab 95 quick smooth it was a bit woolleyin the corners until i lowered it, brakes and parts are expensive in comparison. not as much space it the boot ( trunk) mor of a sporty image , again tyres tracking ( putting down 300bhp i had it chipped ) oil changes , if you have bought either you gat a smile on your face from ear to ear
Old 05-21-2007, 12:30 PM

Hi Merc,
I ended up buying the 9-5 Aero and you were correct, i am grinning from ear to ear.

On another note, how long are the DI Casette's on these things supposed to last? I've got about 55K miles on mine and i think its on its way out. What do you think?

Quick Reply: Saab or Volvo