Transmission Problem - but...

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 06:06 PM

Default Transmission Problem - but...

Ok, I have a 2001 9-5 3.0L with 175,000 miles. The vehicle has been well maintained and other than a few minor problems it has been a flawless performer.

Saturday I was on the interstate and when I accelerated up to 70 mph the whole engine/transmission chattered (like the transmission clutches were grabbing and releasing causing a loud sound and huge vibration) and when I backed off the gas the chatter went away. I repeated this several times trying to figure out what the problem was and finally gave up and kept it at 65 mph (the speed limit - who does that? LOL)

Sunday I was driving to a picnic and on the way to the store it started chattering at 45 mph but since the store was less than 3 miles away I kept it at the 35mph speed limit.

When I left the store it ran fine for about 2 miles and then wouldnt shift into OD, then not in to 3rd and then finally started coasting.

At no time did the transmission act like it was slipping (high RPM, low speed), didnt whine, didnt leak etc.

When I finally coasted into a shopping center and into a nice parking space there were no check engine lights at that time, the engine would start and run, but the car would not move regardless of the gear (including reverse).

Someone told me to pull all the fuses for the ECM and transmission as that would force a reset, I did that, put the fuses back in and got a check engine light. Read the codes and got an P0722 (output speed sensor circuit, no signal)

Any thoughts?
Old 09-12-2010, 11:11 AM

Same problem. Did u fix the issue?
Old 09-13-2010, 08:46 AM

Nope.

Every mechanic I talk to has a different opinion as to what it is and I learned a long, long time ago that the only person who benefits from "swap-a-part-until-its-fixed" is the mechanic so it's sitting in my drive way.
Old 09-14-2010, 06:10 AM

Okay, I've changed the trans wit a used one and NO CHANGE!!! Same problem. Mechanic says this trans is bad too. NOWAY!!! This thans is doing the same exact thing! I'm going to grab a used TCM from goldwind and test it out.
Old 09-15-2010, 02:43 AM

Let me know if that works...

Problem here is there is one indy and he's a crook and two dealers and well... nuff said about that. LOL
Old 02-28-2013, 01:45 PM

Wow, i know this is an old post but was there ever a resolution? I am having the exact same symptoms with my 3.0. I really dont want to buy and install a trans if I dont have to.
So....
Bump!
Old 03-01-2013, 06:06 AM
Super Moderator

Can you describe your issue in more detail? Are you getting the same code as original poster? What exact symptoms and in what sequence did you get them?
Old 03-01-2013, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Roto
Can you describe your issue in more detail? Are you getting the same code as original poster? What exact symptoms and in what sequence did you get them?
I will tell you that my tranny was fried and I had to put a new/rebuilt tranny in. The quoted prices for a rebuild were insane so what I ended up doing was ordering a rebuilt online for $1200 including shipping and a 36,000 mile warranty and paying my favorite shop $1000 to remove/reinstall.

They did a great job but I continuted to have some odd problems and took it to an AAMCO and they pulled the electronic connector from the tranny, cleaned that and put it back together and it worked flawlessly right up until it was totalled on Jan 15th 2013... may she RIP.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:03 PM
Super Moderator

Sorry to hear about it being totaled. When my honda was totaled I bought it back and stripped it of all the new parts I have put in it. Gave them away to friends and family with similar cars. Hopefully your next car is still a Saab (ok, won't say anything if it's a diesel or a Volvo)
Old 03-02-2013, 09:26 AM

Smile

Originally Posted by pokeymon
Wow, i know this is an old post but was there ever a resolution? I am having the exact same symptoms with my 3.0. I really dont want to buy and install a trans if I dont have to.
So....
Bump!
Okay i got a used tranny for about 200 bucks at Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market, installed it and problem vanished.