General Auto Related Help Area Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

A plead for help

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 07:43 PM

Default A plead for help

Hi, I am a newbie here from New Jersey. I have been working on repairing a saab 98 900 se turbo for the past 4 months and I am still having severe stalling problems. The stalling happens at all levels of fuel (empty to full) when I am coming to a complete stop, or when I put the car into park after driving for short or long distances. Normally when I am at a red light, the engine will run fine as I come to a stop, but then it sputters and the rpms jump to around 1300, and then back down to around 500 to 700, stays at 1000 for a few seconds and then sputters again. This evenutally leads to a stalling about 1/3 of the time.

The stalling has caused me to clean our the IAC 3 times, but that doesn't work.
At the suggestion of a saab mechanic, I had to replace the APC Solenoid for ($300 and labor), which he said solved the problem but 1 mile from the repair shop, the car stalled again. I plan to bring it back to him on Monday, but I am not ready to throw another $500 at the problem for something that probably was not related to the stalling. Changing the solenoid has actually made the car drive smoother, the turbo doesn't buck anymore, but isn't quite as strong as it used to be.

Another mecanic told me it was the Oxygen sensor, but that didn't change anything.

I've checked all the tubes, which seem to be fine. I have also had the throttle cleaned out fully. I've changed the air filter, fuel filter, but those didn't make much difference.

Any suggestions on other things I can look at? I am getting to the point where the car is becoming my worst nightmare, instead of my happy ride.

Thanks!!!

Other things I've DIY'd, I've focused on some minor issues from the previous owner's accident to the front passenger side. I've changed the control arm, bushings, and corner light from that problem, and everything from the accident has been taken care of. Other problems that I have fixed on the car include changing the oxygen sensor, changing the water pump, changing the engine mounts which completely fell apart.
Old 02-07-2009, 10:57 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: A plead for help

Where in NJ are you from? If you're within reasonable distance from philly I could take a look...
Old 02-07-2009, 11:00 PM

Hi Roto,
I'm pretty close to Philly actually. I live in Edison but coach kids in baseball in Hamilton most nights. I could drop by Wednesday if you're free.

Thanks.
Eddie
Old 02-07-2009, 11:10 PM
Super Moderator

Well weekends would probably be better. My work schedule is quite unpredictable. If you could drop by next Sat. or Sunday I'd gladly look at it.
Old 02-07-2009, 11:15 PM

Hi Roto,
That would be great. I can come by either Saturday or Sunday during the day. Let me know which is more convenient for you.
As you can see, this is how I spend my weekends now trying to fix the car.

Cheers,
Eddie
Old 02-07-2009, 11:17 PM
Super Moderator

Well, this is how I spend my summer weekends... I'm not extreme enough to mess with it outside in the winter. One thing I suspect though is that you might be having an exhaust backpressure issue. A clogged cat or middle muffler.
Old 02-08-2009, 12:01 AM

I hadn't heard about the exhaust being a potential problem, but will do some research on the exhaust issue.

Just more info: the car starts up quickly after stalling. So I thought it was the IAC problem. The iac was quite dirty, but not too bad after cleaning and didn't help the stall at all. I've changed the plugs and noticed the third plug was covered in oil. The DI Casette seems to be fine.

Basically I've braving the cold and doing it in the driveway, which makes my wife think I am crazy.
Old 02-08-2009, 12:18 AM
Super Moderator

You are crazy When you come we can do some data logging and hopefully that will tell why it's stalling. It's really hard for me to give an accurate diagnosis without seeing the car and after having quite a few beers.
Old 02-08-2009, 09:53 AM

I guess anyone would be crazy to be outside in this weather. At least beer will provide protection from the elements.

Old 02-10-2009, 12:38 PM

Hi Roto,
I noticed the exhaust was making more noise than usual, a slight rumbling sound when I pressed the accelerator. I went back there to check the pressure out of the tail pipe and there was almost no air coming out of it. So maybe that is the right diagnosis.

I am taking it to the same saab mechanic tomorrow who changed the APC solenoid and will mention this.

I know exhaust problems cause lower power to the car, but do you think that would be part of the stalling problem as well?

Thanks. Eddie

Quick Reply: A plead for help