New Member Area
New to Saab Forums.com? Stop in tell us about you.

Buying First Saab Today!

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 08:46 AM

Default Buying First Saab Today!

Hello all! I just joined the forum as I am buying my first Saab today! It's a 1999 9-3 SE silver with charcoal leather interior. I am stating the modding this weekend. Any suggestions? Glad to be here!
Old 10-10-2008, 09:36 AM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Buying First Saab Today!

Sounds like you've got a nice car there. What are your plans for it? What's the milage?
Old 10-10-2008, 12:07 PM

Actually have a minor hick up. I went to pick it up this morning only to find out there is a problem with the heate box. I have been researching this online for the past hour or so and see that this is a common problem with the Saabs. I am still trying to find out a quick and easy fix without having to replace the heaer box. If we have to replace the heater box I think I am going to pass on the car. Oherwise the car is really nice.

It's a 99 with 115K. The first things I want to do is make some exterior mods with some Viggen touches. I really like this rooftop window spoiler I saw on a 9-3 but have no idea where to find it.
Old 10-10-2008, 02:12 PM
Super Moderator

What kind of heater core problem? Is it the couplers that are leaking?
Old 10-10-2008, 02:14 PM
Super Moderator

https://saabforums.com/m_1067/tm.htmtake a look.
Old 10-10-2008, 02:30 PM

No it's actually from the heat control unit not moving well. He replaced it but the control ***** still don't move freely. They are telling me it's a common problem but major bucks to repair if it's the heater box binding up.
Old 10-10-2008, 02:32 PM

.... I'm really upset about this b/c I was so looking forward to buying this car as my first Saab (actually it's for the wife but I think I may sell my Wrangler and get another Saab b/c I'm falling in love already!). and I may have to pass on it!
Old 10-10-2008, 04:28 PM
Super Moderator

Oh that one....I've had that happen on my car...I had to tinker with it for a few days, but I got it fixed...
Old 10-10-2008, 07:50 PM

.... and how did you fix it? I am on the fence with this car. If he drops the price enough I will buy it and try the fix myself. From what I understand, I have to remove the entire dash and console, remove and replace the heater box (which I think is really called a Distributor Box) then re-assemble the car. It's suppoed to be like a 9 - 10 hour job!
Old 10-10-2008, 08:40 PM
Super Moderator

9-10 hours is an optimistic estimate for a first timer...you don't need to dismantle the entire dash though...just the center console, glove box and side covers. I took the passenger side of the "drum" out and filed it to make it slimmer and than also used silicone lubricant....haven't had a problem for two years now...

Quick Reply: Buying First Saab Today!