New Member Area
New to Saab Forums.com? Stop in tell us about you.

New Here

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 11:50 AM

Default New Here

Hey,

I've been lurking around a few days. Checking the place out before I decided to join.

I recently acquired a 1999 Saab 9-3 with 134000 Miles on it. Except for the mileage it is in great shape, good clean body, real nice interior. I have service records on it from the day it was first bought looks like, repairs, oil changes, tires, everything. Looks like it has always been well maintained and taken care of.

At the same time I got a wrecked model from the same year. It just has some front end damage on it. Busted hood, driver side fender, radiator, grill, bumper, headlights, everything on the front pretty much. Other than that it will be a great parts car. It only has about 50,000 miles on it, and everything in it seems to be in great shape. The only thing not on it is the Air Conditioner compressor, which has alredy been taken off and placed on the good driveable car.

This isn't my first experience with a Saab however. When I was growing up my father had a Saab 900 Turbo, somewhere around a 1983 model. He had it through my mid teen years when I was learning to wrench on a car myself. It was a great experience. I helped work on that car with him all the time (he had an extra parts car as well). We worked on a little bit of everything on it, replaced clutch, cylinder head, injectors, electrical switches, and all sorts of other little things. I always enjoyed driving that car once I came of age, and working on it as well. It finally just got too old, and we ran out of good parts to change out on it, and we got rid of it. It was a great car full of learning experiences, especially working on a vehicle. I haven't worked on anything as complicated since then, so it definitely helped with my mechanical knowledge.

Anyway... I'm looking forward to the new Saab, I love the way it drives and runs, and I'll hopefully be able to keep it going for quite a while with the parts from the parts car.
Old 03-03-2008, 06:19 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: New Here

Welcome to the forum. What are your plans for the "wrecked" one? A racecar perhaps? [:-]
Old 03-03-2008, 11:35 PM

That's a good question actually.

A friend of mine came up to look at it. He does a lot of body work on cars. He gave it a good looking over, and doesn't think there is any frame damage right off. He doesn't think it would be that hard to repair either. The hood, driver side fender, bumper, grill are all it would need cosmetically. I have one headlight, both park lights, and a few other little things.

It'd be nice to find one that had been rear-ended and make one nice car out of the two of them.
Old 03-04-2008, 06:13 AM
Super Moderator

I've replaced a front end on a 99 9-3 before and it is nothing difficult (mine had frame damage though, so I had to be creative). You can hop on car-part.com and see who's got the parts you want at the price that you want....I managed to even get the matching color...