92-X cold air intake installation

Old 10-27-2005, 06:35 PM

Default 92-X cold air intake installation

Hello fellow Saabaru lovers! Those of us quick enough to see the benefits of the Saab improvements to an already fantastic platform will be very limited indeed as GM has sold its stake in Subaru.
Those of you never satisfied with off the shelf performance, like me, have likely already begun ringing your hands through hair trying to get the local dealer to even speak of possible performance upgrades - even simple intake or exhaust measures...[&:]
I purchased a new K&N cold air intake off Ebay - original owner couldn't figure out how to make it fit his WRX wagon and I stole it for $20 - list is $349 from manufacturer. When it arrived, I too was taken aback at its immense size and could not imagine it fitting in the little space provided. Stumped, I phoned my local Saab dealer for assistance. "Cold air what??? You want to change a 'Saab'?? We have no knowledge or experience with the 92-X, sorry." Hmmm. At least I only wasted $20. 3 weeks go by...
After continuing to read the benefits of increased HP, decreased weight, better sound that taking the original system out and replacing it with the industry loved K&N intake I gathered the nerve to call the local Subaru dealer. "Sure. No problem, I have done 4 of them myself, the WRX wagon is exactly the same - in fact the parts taken out have Subaru stamped on them - when can you come in? I will only charge you 1.5 hours of labor." What?? Eagerness to please...!!
3 hours later I pick up my car. I look under the hood - wow - gorgeous installation - stainless steel where black plastic used to be, I can now see the turbo and exhaust manifold. I can send pics if interested. The tumor has been extracted from my babies lungs and she can breathe!! The 4 large, heavy, sound reducing, power sucking parts are in the trunk. I estimate a 9-13 pound weight savings and K&N estimates a 7-15% increase in HP - numbers backed by various Subbie performance web sites. All for 175 bucks and 3 hours of time. But how did she drive??
At start up there was no difference. When I took off I could hear the turbo begin to spool at 2700 rpm and really spin over 4000 rpm. The car just pulled steady up to redline without the previous air starvation. The sound is a melody - I rarely turn on the radio - a habit my fiancee finds amusing and the driveability of the car is significantly improved. Rocketship status - no - decreased heat on gauges - slight reduction - more HP - not much but definite improvement over 4000 rpm. This combined with the turbo back exhaust going on at my local Subbie shop this spring will get me over 275 ponies! Not bad for $1000! On such a sweet platform this might keep me happy for a season or so.
The most important lesson I have learned so far is the eagerness of my Subaru dealer to satisfy my urges - fantastic attitudes, love of performance, expert technicians, and they appreciate the business Saab so eagerly leaves at the table. Maybe another reason GM is having trouble - can't see an opportunity due to their conservative stance.

Feel free to share your adventures or performance upgrade stories as I will continue to change my ride for the better.

Curt
Old 11-02-2005, 06:15 PM

Default RE: 92-X cold air intake installation

sounds like you have quite a set of plans for the future for your car!!
Old 12-26-2005, 07:07 PM

I have been researching for several weeks on ECU mods and have mainly confused myself with the assortment and possible side-affects if the wrong thing is done...[:'(] I have decided to go ahead with the turbo back exhaust in the spring - a Cobb unit with high flow cats - NH law is tough! The next problem is the up-pipe as a 6 hour job and a night mare... There are many ECU manufacturers but the xcceleration.com boys seem to have the most experience piece mailing the cars together like I am doing.
how about you? what do you drive and what mods have you done/have planned?
Curt
Old 12-27-2005, 02:50 PM

i have an old V8 car...its fairly quick....
Old 10-30-2006, 10:52 PM

yea i been searching all over for a intake system for my sabb... i always knew you can use suburu parts but i wanted a system that'll fit perfatctly in the compartment and plus im tight on money[:@]