'08 9-3 starter probs

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2024, 07:36 PM

Default '08 9-3 starter probs

I am about to place a Tech2 on a 2008 9-3 2.0t, 104K miles. Running pretty spiffy.

Except for… wanted to ask this question here before everyone went to bed and mebbe get some ideas.. tho the T2 in a couple hours may give the answer.

Fairly new battery. Took to Autozone to get the battery, starter, etc checked out. As the car has gradually been getting harder to turn over. Over the last few weeks the starter growing more and more sluggish to today when it would not turn over at all. Presenting as if the terminals or related were corroded… that kind of symptom. Except, it is not that.

Went thru all fuses, removing, reinserting. Did remove the batt cables and reconnected. The power to everything is A-ok. And the Autozone checkup presented everything to top notch health. Batt, starter, electrical. No warnings. All excellent.

Except the sluggish-ness leading to just now, starter no go. I did not hear a click click click that one might expect. But I am also not that familiar with 9-3s. Yet. (have 2 now). Today was to be dedicated to sleuthing this out, but life happens blah blah. So I WILL be placing a Tech2 on it but before the moon sets, wanted to post this and ask…

… thoughts? On what to look into? As said, primary symptom has been the starter has grown increasingly sluggish to where it won’t turn at all today.

???

And I will come back and report what the T2 reveals if anything as soon as I learn.
Old 02-15-2024, 03:26 AM

Ok, as said coming here to say what the Tech2 revealed.

Nuttin'. Well... a message about a tire pressure thing, but that's it.

So, in daylight will now start loosening power cables, cleaning contacts... and see if that brings some joy...

Originally Posted by drhiii
I am about to place a Tech2 on a 2008 9-3 2.0t, 104K miles. Running pretty spiffy.

Except for… wanted to ask this question here before everyone went to bed and mebbe get some ideas.. tho the T2 in a couple hours may give the answer.

Fairly new battery. Took to Autozone to get the battery, starter, etc checked out. As the car has gradually been getting harder to turn over. Over the last few weeks the starter growing more and more sluggish to today when it would not turn over at all. Presenting as if the terminals or related were corroded… that kind of symptom. Except, it is not that.

Went thru all fuses, removing, reinserting. Did remove the batt cables and reconnected. The power to everything is A-ok. And the Autozone checkup presented everything to top notch health. Batt, starter, electrical. No warnings. All excellent.

Except the sluggish-ness leading to just now, starter no go. I did not hear a click click click that one might expect. But I am also not that familiar with 9-3s. Yet. (have 2 now). Today was to be dedicated to sleuthing this out, but life happens blah blah. So I WILL be placing a Tech2 on it but before the moon sets, wanted to post this and ask…

… thoughts? On what to look into? As said, primary symptom has been the starter has grown increasingly sluggish to where it won’t turn at all today.

???

And I will come back and report what the T2 reveals if anything as soon as I learn.