1999 Saab 9-3 Stereo Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 12:02 PM

Question 1999 Saab 9-3 Stereo Replacement

Hello, I just bought a 1999 Saab 9-3 and I was wondering if it is possible to replace the stereo with an aftermarket one, also the speakers as well. The reason I want to replace it is because the CD player doesn't work, well it will play them but the disc gets stuck and won't come out and 4 out of 6 of the speakers are blown out. I haven't found any kind of kits online, I would like to use a cradle that fills in all the holes and snugly holds the new stereo and a wiring harness so none of the wiring has to be cut or spliced. Also would I still be able to use the power antenna that came with the car and the steering wheel controls. Thank You
Old 07-16-2009, 01:27 PM

Default stereo replacement

ok so this is a common problem with saabs...THE DOUBLE DIN!! First you need a adapter kit to convert the double din to single din...you can usually go to any local audio place and ask...they have them...maybe not directly for a saab but one that fits it (at least thats what I did). Second you need a direct wiring harness so you don't have to splice anything. Genuinesaab.com sells this part and even the radio converter kit. My saan has a adapter that creates a small pocket above it...(really useless but can hold papers and cell phones. It looks clean though. For speakers you should not buy co-axials for the 6.5 front door panels because they are dedicated for ONLY lows. Rears are responsible for mids and front dash 3" speakers are for highs...The fron't 6.5 door panel speakers are externally amped thats why they have good bass.
Old 07-16-2009, 01:32 PM

Default stereo rep.

oh by the way..crutchfield.com sells the antenna harness...its really a cheap part...the steering wheel control adapter however may run you around 80 bucks.
Old 07-16-2009, 04:29 PM
Super Moderator

just so you know, it's not an actual double din. I think it's like 1 3/4 Din. genuinesaab.com sells an adapter.
Old 07-24-2009, 02:56 PM

I would recommend going to Crutchfield. You can put in the make and model of you car and they'll show you head units and speakers that will fit your car. I have a 2002 93 and the dash speakers are 3 1/2 inch. I put a set of JBL's in there and they definately improve the overall sound quality.

I don't think there is a harness for the speaker wires. You generally have to use the crimp connectors that come with the speakers. Not difficult, but it can try your patience when your working in the tight corners.

After you figure out what you want, you can head over to Ebay and pick things up for much cheaper.
Old 06-30-2010, 06:22 PM

Just so you know, if you order your parts from Crutchfield, they will send you the wrong install kit. They'll send you the kit for a Honda CVR/Prelude. The kit is very close to being right, but it is actually 3/16" too tall. When I called Crutchfield to tell them they sent the wrong part, they told me "No that's the right part. You'll just have to use a hack saw and cut 3/16" off the top of the kit's frame."

I was pretty amazed by that answer. They also told me that cutting that off would also remove the plastic clips that hold it in place, but that it was OK to do that.

Wow. I think I'll order the correct part from genuinesaab.com. They have it on ebay, but ebay wants more than genuinesaab.com.