2000 SAAB 9-3 Convertible Won't get gas. Has spark

Old 03-15-2013, 01:55 PM

Default 2000 SAAB 9-3 Convertible Won't get gas. Has spark

Hey there. I need some help.

2000 Saab 9-3 convertible died at the store awhile ago. Drove it in and turned it off and came back and would just turn over but would not start.

It seems to have spark but won't get fuel. Changed out the fuel pump, filter and checked Fuel Pump RELAY fuse and have a replacement for that but no change. Fuse RELAY tested out good. Also checked out the smaller regular simple fuse and that was good too.

I have disconnected the fuel pump wires and tested for juice when I turn on the ignition and I will get some momentary volts for a split second and then it goes away. I also here a clicking noise from that fuse RELAY panel when that all occurs and wonder if another non fuel pump RELAY fuse could be bad. I read on here that there might be some kind of fuse that controls both spark and fuel pump so I am wondering if anyone knows anything about that.

If not any ideas of what else I can try for it seems like the systems in the car are just not allowing any juice to flow to the fuel pump to get it to pump fuel.

I also put in a new crankshaft sensor and no luck yet on getting the fuel pump to come on.

Previously replaced the Neutral Safety Switch some time ago and that resolved that problem of car not starting after it got hot.

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by delekay; 03-15-2013 at 02:01 PM.
Old 03-17-2013, 01:23 PM
Super Moderator

Just to clarify, you see current flowing to the pump when it primes, but after that you get no current to the pump? How were you measuring this? Are you sure the spark you're getting is good? It is possible to get weak spark. Have you pulled the plugs after you cranked it to see if they were dry?

Also, did you change the fuel filter next to the tank?
Old 03-18-2013, 12:41 PM

Fuel filter was changed along with the other things as well.

When ignition is first turned on there is power that goes back to the fuel pump for a split second. This was measured by a volt meter with my friend checking the wires when unhooked to the fuel pump. The meter reads for only a split second though and then drops to zero. Pump never primes nor really turns on for the juice to it doesn't stay.

I am 99% sure there is simply no juice flowing to the fuel pump thus delivering fuel to the engine and that is why it won't start. I put some gas into the engine directly and it would fire up for a second or two or act like it wanted to catch but then wouldn't have the fuel to maintain running. Also the little valve behind the plugs at the back of the engine that you can depress has no fuel that will come out of it so just don't think any gas getting to the engine.

There is that clicking noise that happens in the relay box that makes me wonder if another relay besides the one that controls the fuel pump could be bad. Are you aware of any relay in the fust box that would cause the system to shut down the power to the fuel pump?

My next step was to try to isolate which relay makes the clicking noise and to try replacing that.

Search this Thread