99 9-3SE Water n oil

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 03:12 PM

Default 99 9-3SE Water n oil

I purchased a 99 Saab 9-3 Conv SE 2.0 w Turbo. The car had light damage in the front. After the repairs were done we noticed a small crack in the top of the radiator. It was plastic welded & driven slightly cross town & back a few times. It was still seaping some. The car had run perfect from the time of purchase except for this small leak. The car never got hot durring running or driveing. The day before pulling the radiator I had checked fluids & all were good oil was perfect. My employee pulled the radiator including disconnecting the intercooler & had the left tank replaced due to the crack. The next day he put it back together. When the car was started it would barely run & was blowing ALOT of smoke out the exhaust(I thought it looked like oil smoke blueish) We kept it running a bit & never showed hot then the service engine light came on. As I said car has run great since purchased. I pulled the plugs & #2 has water in the cylinder & now there is water in the oil. Is there a chance that something is cross connected that would cause this problem? Maybe reverse pressure that we blow a head gasket? Hopefully nothing worse. Or could it have had low pressure circulation due to the crack & caused the problem? Help! I hope it is just something crossed & a head gasket. From what I've read here alot of you know your stuff about these cars. I just know how to paint'em. Any suggestions? I am about to do a compression test to see what it shows & will report back.Thanks, Jim
Old 09-07-2007, 06:42 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: 99 9-3SE Water n oil

Replace the headgasket and make sure there is no water/oil in the charge piping. I believe the car overheated before you got it...make sure the head isn't warped when you have it out.
Old 09-13-2007, 06:55 PM

As I said I am a bodyshop & don't do much mechanical. However I have been Inside many V8s. Pulling the head seems 2 be quite strait forward. I thought of trying it my self. Of course I'll send the head out.My question, is this a pretty easy head job? Anything to cause me a problem & pay special attention to? Thanks for your help.
Old 09-13-2007, 09:47 PM
Super Moderator

Well once the head is off I'd also replace the timing cahin as it's relatively cheap...and pull the oil pan for a cleaning. There's nothing difficult there, just be careful with the ignition cassette...that is one expensive part you don't want to break.

P.S. where are you located? I will need a paintjob soon and I want a good one...
Old 09-24-2007, 10:48 AM

I am being told I have to pull the motor to remove the timing cover before head can come off & the motor drops thru the bottom. ????? Is this correct??
Old 09-24-2007, 10:55 AM
Super Moderator

well the motor does drop through the bottom, but let me check with the WIS before you do that. I'm pretty sure you don't have to drop the motor. If anything, you'll have to just cut the timing chain and replace it with a new one, and I know people do not take the motor out for timing chain replacement, so that comment kind of makes no sense.