changing factory speakers in 2007 9-3 2.0T

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 12:03 PM

Default changing factory speakers in 2007 9-3 2.0T

I just purchased my first Saab, a 2007 9-3 2.0T. The car is great. As you all know, the audio system (150 watt setup) sucks. I've done searches before posting, but cannot seem to find information specific to the 2007 audio system.
I gather that the dash speakers are 3.5", and I will replace those.
But what about the door and the rear? Do I replace the door speakers with 6.5" 2-ways or midwoofers? Would that make a significant difference in audio quality? I've read that the rear deck speakers (4", if I recall correctly) have the bass rolled off, so there is no point in installing 6x9" instead?
Any relevant links would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 09-16-2010, 02:11 PM

Anyone?
Old 09-23-2010, 10:54 AM

I have the same care and I also think the stock stereo sucks. I went to AMS to get a quote on putting in a stereo system. I already own 2 rear Memphis Coaxil speakers 2 10" Pheonix Gold Xenon Subs, speakers and subs both powered by 2 Memphis Amplifiers. Even having all that I was quoted $1600 dollars to put in to JL Audio Components, and have my subs and rear speakres installed. It's alot of money because they have to put in a Frequency Combiner ($200), JL Audio Clean Sweep ($350), a remote to change your volume (50) and then its about 10 12 hours of labor. So if your looking to drop a pretty penny you can make it sound amazing, but without clean sweep your stock radio changes frequencys when you change the volume, so no matter how you tune it its always going to be untuned again as soon as you change the volume. I wouldn't suggest putting much money into rear speakers either they don't make much of a difference. Get a good pair of front speakers. You want them to be components because the speakers are really low on the door and it will make it sound better, then you put the tweakers in the two spots on the dash. And disconnect the center speaker. If you do all this it will sound great!

Hope this helps
Old 09-23-2010, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by SaabTT22
I have the same care and I also think the stock stereo sucks. I went to AMS to get a quote on putting in a stereo system. I already own 2 rear Memphis Coaxil speakers 2 10" Pheonix Gold Xenon Subs, speakers and subs both powered by 2 Memphis Amplifiers. Even having all that I was quoted $1600 dollars to put in to JL Audio Components, and have my subs and rear speakres installed. It's alot of money because they have to put in a Frequency Combiner ($200), JL Audio Clean Sweep ($350), a remote to change your volume (50) and then its about 10 12 hours of labor. So if your looking to drop a pretty penny you can make it sound amazing, but without clean sweep your stock radio changes frequencys when you change the volume, so no matter how you tune it its always going to be untuned again as soon as you change the volume. I wouldn't suggest putting much money into rear speakers either they don't make much of a difference. Get a good pair of front speakers. You want them to be components because the speakers are really low on the door and it will make it sound better, then you put the tweakers in the two spots on the dash. And disconnect the center speaker. If you do all this it will sound great!

Hope this helps
Thanks for your posting. I am not looking to spend big bucks. What do you mean that the stock radio changes frequencies when you change the volume? Where do tweeters get mounted on the dash? I don't want to alter the dash.
Old 09-23-2010, 12:32 PM

Here's another thought I had this afternoon. What if I get a 4 channel amp, like the MB Quart Discus DSC450 (200 watt) and use a line out converter , bypassing the stock amp, and powering the door speakers and two 6"x9"s?
Then I don't have to limit myself to finding 2 ohm door speakers.
Old 09-25-2010, 03:09 PM

I'm pretty confused about this audio system. I had read postings that state that the amp only drives the door speakers, as well as postings that say that the amp drives all 7 speakers. If the amp were driving all 7 speakers, that would mean that the 6.5" door speakers are 4 ohm speakers, correct?

I never imagined that upgrading a car stereo system would be this confusing...