Constant replacement of headlamps?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 08:51 PM

Default Constant replacement of headlamps?

In the past 9 months, I've replaced my headlamps twice, and just can't figure out why this keeps happening:

9 months ago - one lamp goes out....I replace both with bright white ones...keeping them in sync, same brightness.

2 months later - one lamp goes out, I replace just that one.

3 months later - the other lamp goes out, I replace just that one.

This week, one of them goes out again.

What's the deal with that? Anyone experience this? I have a 2000 9-3 2.0T vert if that helps.

Thanks
Old 10-14-2008, 06:47 PM

Default RE: Constant replacement of headlamps?

All right. I have the exact same problem and I also replaced the computer chip thing that controls the headlights. I've owned the car a year and replaced both headlights 3 times now.Last month, when I most recently replaced them, I bought the most expensive lights I could get rather than buying the middle grade ones. Also, like you I replaced both but kept the one that didn't go bad. So I eventually stopped buying new lights and just used the old ones. I now have one old bulb left. I think I actually replaced the bulbs 4 times now.
I am beginning to question my choice of automobile.
Old 10-14-2008, 07:20 PM
Super Moderator

Let me ask you this...HOW are you replacing the bulbs. Most times it's even the slightest bit of oil getting onto the glass that makes the bulb burn out. Even if all the glass touched on the way in was part of the headlight housing you've pretty much just condemned your lights. If you're anything like me than you probably never switch the headlight switch off which only makes the problem worse... try being extra careful when installing the bulb, turning off DRLs and driving with lights off when not necessary.
Old 10-15-2008, 06:55 PM

I'm pretty careful. I was buying the cheap lights at advanced auto but have since heard that advanced auto is not the reputable on things like these. The last set I bought at NAPA and bought the higher quality - more expensive. I'll see how these hold up but at the rate that my headlights were failing I would have had to coat my hands with lard. I'm telling you I think one set lasted 3 months tops.
Old 10-15-2008, 08:10 PM
Super Moderator

Than I'd recommend that you measure the current at the headlight socket while starting up and shutting down (both the car and the lights) and see if it spikes.