Help with Engine manifold problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 11:23 AM

Default Help with Engine manifold problem

I bought my Saab 93 Tid Vector Sport new in January 2004 and during the warranty period the car needed 2 EGR valves. The symptoms were a gradual loss of power then the engine light came on and I would have to take the car at crawling speed to the garage. The first time I thought that these things happen with new cars a faulty valve no problem. The second time it happened I told the garage that I had the problem before and they might need to have a look at the engine as this shouldn’t be happening twice in a couple of years.

Late last night (7 months out of warranty) the car broke down on my wife on the motorway with the same symptoms, loss of power and the engine light came on. This morning I took the car to the garage and explained about the previous history and asked them to have a look at it. Before I sat down the guy behind the desk told me that the valve was still under warranty, happy days I thought. He then came and told me that the engine manifold and ‘spindle gear’ (not sure it might have been spindle something else) needed replaced and it was going to cost me £1000.

Obviously I am not very happy about this and whilst on my way home started thinking that maybe the EGR problem has been caused all this time by a faulty manifold or that the problems are some how related. If these problems are related then this should have been fixed while the car was in warranty and not just the valve replaced and not look into the source of the problem.

When I got home I phoned up the garage to ask exactly what work they are doing on the car and they told me that they are fitting a new engine manifold and gasket for the EGR valve! That’s not what they told me at the time, if he was to mention EGR valve at the time I would have argued my case about the previous history and maybe he knew that.

What do you guys think? Could the engine problems be related? Should the problem of been looked at before? Regardless of the previous history surely an engine manifold should be expected to last longer than 3 years 7 months and more than 44,000 miles. Under one of the sales of goods acts shouldn’t the engine manifold be replaced free regardless of warranty?

The parts are expected in tomorrow and any help on this matter would be very gratefully received. What should I do? Do you have any points of reference for me? Who should I speak to? I would like to get as many facts together as I can before I go back to the garage so they can’t try and pull the wool over my eyes.

I love my Saab and am planning on getting another one but this is leaving a bit of a sour taste in the mouth.

Thanks again.
Old 08-21-2008, 01:20 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Help with Engine manifold problem

Unless the manifold cracked I wouldn't have replaced it... (I don't know your particular engine, we don't have diesels here) sounds like a ripoff job to me.