Intermittent starting problem!

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 04:43 PM

Default 2001 95 2.3

I have same problem with my 95 , sometimes does not start , all the lights come up , but no noise from under the hood , after 5 - 10 min starts just fine . Not sure what that is ? If anybody got an answer please let me know .
Cheers.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:08 AM

Default Neutral Safety Switch

We decided to take a chance on replacing the neutral safety switch in our 2001 9-3. It's only been 3 weeks, so too early to tell if this has solved our problem, though so far, so good. We were fortunate to find a mechanic that had a 9-3 he has been scouring for parts, so he gave us the switch for nothing and installed it for $150. The switch is typically about $350. (We agreed to pay him an additional $100 if the problem doesn't recur in 2 months.)

Even the mechanic wasn't 100% sure. He would like to have had the car in his possession when the non-starting occurred. He could then test if there was no power getting to the starter motor, which would prove the NSS was indeed the culprit. If power was getting all the way to the starter motor, then... different problem.

Right now, we have fingers crossed and we'll keep in touch with this forum.
Old 09-01-2009, 08:09 PM

Smile

Willeyffej: its been a while since you changed the neutral safety switch. Did it fix your problem? I am having the same issue and am leaning towards either the NSS of the ignition switch. I feel sure its not te starter because once the car acts up there is no power to the starter.
Old 09-02-2009, 06:10 PM

Miracle of miracles, the neutral safety switch replacement seems to have done the trick. No starting problems for the 2+ months since the part was replaced. We have already paid the mechanic the additional $100 we agreed to if it worked.

This may not fix your problem, but it fixed ours. Best of luck to all.
Old 09-03-2009, 07:31 AM

Thanks for the response, I feel pretty sure that is my problem as well. To me there are only two things that can completely disable all power to the starter, the NSS or ignition switch. As it has been explained numerous times, nothing happens under the hood when the problems shows itself. But all the interior lights, radio, etc. work fine. So in my mine I have two choices and both are around $300 aftermarket. I have a 50/50 chance. Thanks again.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:54 AM

Default Additional clue/ possible workaround

Originally Posted by willyffej

2001 Saab 9-3 runs perfectly except occasionally

Turning over the key turns on all the electrical components (radio, lights, etc) but there is no sound otherwise - no clicking of ignition or huffing of engine.
let the car sit for a while /runs just fine.

The problem is intermittent.
Willyffej--

My mother's car was exhibiting the EXACT same symptoms, and Saab was unable to find a cause. I'm used to driving older cars with intermittent faults--so I checked it out a bit and found what I think is a workaround. (Of course the Saab mechanic looked at me like I was a moron). Next time the car won't start, try this: Step on the brake pedal a couple times in quick succession--you will hear the tick-tick-tick of the transmission shift relay---then try the key again and the car starts. It has solved the problem twice, instantly.

I don't know if actuating the brake circuit causes a voltage drop/vacillation/or provided an alternate pathway to ground or what--but it has worked every time. Try it next time your car won't start--and let me know if it works for you too.

An "old school" mechanic would be able to find a solution with that data. A guy who waits for a computer to tell him what the problem is...not so much.

--Monahan
Old 09-30-2009, 02:06 PM

Default brake pedal

thanks for the tip, monahan. at this point replacing the neutral safety switch has solved the problem but if it recurs we'll try the brake pedal workaround.
Old 04-05-2010, 01:24 AM

Angry Intermittent Starting 9-5

2000 Saab 9-5.
Ok: What is the final problem/solution trouble-shooting on this one?
I hear this and other threads saying:
  1. Crank Positioning Sensors,
  2. Neutral Safety Switch,
  3. Ignition Switch,
  4. Starter Relay,
  5. Battery,
  6. Battery cables,
  7. Starter,
  8. Selenoid,
  9. Loose Grounding Nut in primary Electrical circuit (Which nut?)
Doesn't Saab have a formal solution and write-up on this one? This is truly a frustrating problem . Can we revisit and get this resolved, pls. Thx .
Old 04-05-2010, 11:13 AM

Default Intermittent Starting 9-5

Replacing Neutral Safety Switch, resolved it for me .
I got it at AutoPartsWarehouse.com‏ for $327 and It took my mechanic about 20 min to put it in . It has been 4 month - no problems for now .
Old 04-06-2010, 04:11 AM

Default Neutral safety Switch

Thank you; I wil give it a go and get back to you.
Dan

Quick Reply: Intermittent starting problem!