Intermittent starting problem!

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Monahan
Willyffej--

My mother's car was exhibiting the EXACT same symptoms, and Saab was unable to find a cause. I'm used to driving older cars with intermittent faults--so I checked it out a bit and found what I think is a workaround. (Of course the Saab mechanic looked at me like I was a moron). Next time the car won't start, try this: Step on the brake pedal a couple times in quick succession--you will hear the tick-tick-tick of the transmission shift relay---then try the key again and the car starts. It has solved the problem twice, instantly.

--Monahan
I was wondering if this has continued to work for you? I am having this problem & I am trying to nail down the exact cause, but it sure sounds like the nps.
Old 07-24-2013, 11:27 AM

Default I've finally found the answer!

Hi everybody...I thought I'd pop in here to hopefully solve all your problems, because my 2001 Saab 93 plagued me with the same issue until it got so bad I was about to scrap an otherwise perfectly good car.

It's your Inhibitor switch. You need to replace the inhibitor switch. This tells the car if it's ok to start or not. And that is it. It's not a cheap fix...but it is the correct one for this problem.

Trust me when I say I tried every other solution and spoke to countless mechanics who were none the wiser. I finally decided to spend the money getting a Saab expert to search out this illusive switch, and the car has been starting every time and running like a dream ever since.

cheers
mark
Old 03-27-2014, 10:43 AM

Default Standard / manual transmission & NSS

Under the heading ' Electrical-Switch & Relay : Neutral Safety Switch / Range Sensor' Rock auto shows a $258 NSS for automatic transmissions. They call it an intermotor. Rock Auto lists a " range sensor" for Standard / manual transmissions for roughly $7. I do not believe Standard / Manual transmissions have a NSS proper. Would the symptoms described in this thread apply to a manual transmission if the "range sensor failed"?
Old 03-27-2014, 12:53 PM

Default glimmertwin request clarification please

I get a little confused with acronyms like NSS (neutral safety switch), DIC (Direct ignition Cassette), CPS (crankshaft positioning sensor) and ECM (Electronic control module). Compound this with the use of interchangeable terms. I tend to say, "manual transmission" others say 'standard transmission'. Glimmertwin when you refer to an "Inhibitor switch" are you possibly referring to the CPS?
Is this Inhibitor switch found in my car? Things are made a little more difficult because posts don't necessarily, specify applicability. Example, I had been reading various threads and went looking for my NSS. Thinking I would pour water over it. It was nowhere to be found. I have since concluded that a vehicle with a standard (manual) transmission does not have an NSS.
Thanks in advance for any clarification.
Old 12-30-2015, 01:02 AM

Default Starting problems

I have an intermittent starting problem. Starter motor does not turn, no sound !
This first happened after a 30 mile trip. After exactly the same trip a week later, it would not start after a 30 minute stop.
It may start ater 5 , 10 ,or 50 minutes.
I don't think the CPS is the problem as I had the CPS problem with a Mercedes.
In that scenario the engine would just cut out in mid drive. Then would not start
but the starter would turn over. My car was previously owned by one person from new and had an annual service, goes like a dream.
Could the problem be the immobiliser?
I frequently leave the car running when I make a short stop, abd hope noone drives it away.