New to the Saab 9-3

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 11:34 AM

Default New to the Saab 9-3

Well, I took the plunge and bought a 2002 9-3. Now I knew there was some problems with the car when I bought it, and I was hoping this forum would be some what of a resource for me. I have quite a bit of wrench time on my GTI(RIP) and on aircraft, so I would like to do most of the work myself, but learning a new car takes time. There are only two problems with the car so far that I can tell, that the Oil Dipstick cap has broken, so it pushes oil out of the top(part already ordered) and that I also have the Bank 1 running to lean engine code. Now anyone else who experienced this problem no why it was caused? It happened on my GTI when one of my vacuum lines melted and it was a 10 buck fix. Well, thanks for the time and I really hope this forum is a good resource so I can stay active and hopefully within a month or two of being under the hood and give back.
Old 05-22-2010, 06:50 PM

Default Lean

Did you get a P0171 code? If so you need to re-solder the grounds to the ECM.(R/S kick panel) Remove the glove box and pull the carpet back unplug the ECM and 2 other connectors on that harness. Push harness thru the firewall (you may need to unbolt the cruise control box and pivot it out of the way) now remove the tape from the harness starting at the connector for about 12". look for 2 groups of black wires comming to 2 seperate junctions.(one at a time) Remove the heat shrink around the junctions and clip out the metal sleve. Strip the wires and SOLDER them. Seal with heat shrink and repeat to the other junction. Re-assemble. Clear the code and drive. This fixes 95% of P0171 codes. Good Luck.
Old 05-23-2010, 11:51 AM

I got the p1213 code. After looking a while online, looks like it is a spark plug or DIC problem on 1 or 2? Granted I have not looked under the hood to get in there and see what the DIC actually looks like, I am planning on doing that this after noon.
Old 05-24-2010, 05:37 PM

Default Di cassette

Depending on what year your car is you will have either a red or black DI Cassette. It sits in the middle of your valve cover and is normally screwed on with 4 torx 30 screws. You will need to replace it. If yours is black I also recommend that you see if you need an updated software progrm to you ECU computer. Unfortunately you may need to see the dealer for that. Good Luck.