Oil Leak From Oil Filter Cap

Old 05-30-2010, 10:22 PM

Exclamation Oil Leak From Oil Filter Cap

Hey guys this is going to be an interesting first post,

My cousin has an 04 Saab 9-3 2.0t, now he is rather mechanically challenged, and did some serious damage while trying to change his oil filter.

Long story short,

he took a hammer and flat-head screwdriver to the filter cap before loosening it and well he went right through it.

Problem is he also went through the block. He ordered a new oil filter cap and I put it back on for him, however, since he went through the part of the block the filter sits in its impossible for a seal to form because as the oil heats and goes through the filter it pushes the O-ring into the hole he created with a flat head.

Now, what I want to know is the following, is the vessel the filter sits in attached to the block? Is it removable and are we able to purchase a new filter holder? or can some sort of sealant be used to fill the hole he made and recreate a perfect seal? Or is he just S.O.L and needs an entire new block. I've never worked on a Saab engine so I don't really know the ins and outs of it so any insight or help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Charlie