Electrical Problem - No Headlights - NOT the Fuse

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 11:49 PM

Default Electrical Problem - No Headlights - NOT the Fuse

I have a 2000 SAAB 9-5 6cyl. with 74,000 mi.

I was driving along, minding my own business and both of my headlights suddenly went out. Both went out at the same time and there was no message on the SID screen at all. The fog lights still work, so we were able to see our way home.

We checked all of the fuses and they are all fine. My boyfriend opened up the main fuse box under the hood and checked all of the wires. Nothing was loose or appeared damaged.

We don't have a tech manual. Are there any fusable links or other secrets that we might be missing. Our dealer can't get us in for over a week and we need to get this fixed a.s.a.p. Last week our other car blew up so we are down to one car and only during daylight hours. HELP!
Old 03-30-2006, 01:18 AM

Default RE: Electrical Problem - No Headlights - NOT the Fuse

they had to replace the head light connectors on my same model vehicle some how they heated up and melted
[>:]
Old 05-31-2006, 12:56 AM

This problem has probably long since been corrected but I recently discovered that the headlight relay (orange relay in box by master cylinder) is a common failure on our cars.
Old 12-24-2006, 09:31 PM

The headlight current passes through this device.It is not a relay. It has electronics inside that monitor the current and advises if a bulb is out. The solder connections at the base of the circuit board can come apart.You can pop the orange top off and inspect the connections. I just used the wiring diagram in WIS to determine what should be connected to what, and found the break. A quick solder and back in business.This can be a very expensive part, be careful.
Old 06-02-2016, 06:54 AM

Default I am having a similar issue

I have a 2006 95 and last night after doing what one would believe to be unrelated work( atf drain and fill, and had ECM tuned by a friend) I was driving home last night in the dark and got pulled over because my tail lights were out. I found BOTH tail light fuses blown and when I replaced them they instantly blew again and now when I turn the headlight switch to on the light go out. The DRL work so low beams are working and flash to pass works so high beams are working so it is not the bulbs and I know that current flows to the two beams. Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated as this is my only car and I need to be able to drive at night.