Heater/AC blower motor

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2016, 07:15 PM

Default Heater/AC blower motor

2005 Saab 9-5 Arc sedan. 113K miles.

The blower motor for the heater/AC has been acting up over the past month. At first, the fan speed was very low, even when the speed was set to maximum, but would reach full speed after about 10 minutes or so. Now the fan is not working at all. The climate control display seems to be working O.K.

So is the blower motor bad? Or perhaps it’s something else (e.g. resistors)?

Thanks
Old 12-09-2020, 10:48 AM

I also got a problem with AC , any idea where I can solve it ?
Old 12-14-2020, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by LisaHamiltonEu
There are a lot of places where you can repair your AC, the thing is that not everyone is doing his job qualitative. I've been a few times in situations where I paid my money but the result was for a short term. A friend of mine recommended me SoCool Aircon Servicing and I never had problems with my AC from that moment. They did a fast and smooth work and I would recommend you their service. If you have any AC related problems they can solve them in a short term and the result lasts for a very long time. Mine is still working perfectly, been more than 2 years already.

Last edited by Essynra; 12-16-2020 at 10:29 AM.
Old 06-11-2021, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by LisaHamiltonEu
Hi Lisa
there are numerous faults that could apply for your car. I'm nut sure if your display is same, but for mine 2001 Saloon I ran diagnostics by pressing the AUTO and OFF button at the same time. The AC system run a calibration process and might identify your problem. The number of faults appear in the left as 1, 2,3 and so on, and the error code on the right side. Once identified you can start looking for the remedy and procedures/videos can be found online. Common error code is 08/09 LH/RH air mixing flaps. These are are plastic levers regulating air blow and is a week part the is known to break at some point. Repair kits are available with improved quality and would last the lifetime of the car.
Another issue could be the blower fan located between the wipers. Typically related to the brushes or resistor, which can be replaced. Or just replace with a new or second hand fan.
How to run diagnosis is described in this video: 00:00 to 01:10 following a description of how to chech and resolve the spesific findings:

I'm not skilled at all and learning by doing, watching video, reading online and seeking advise from other Saab enthusiasts. It is expensive to hand it over to the workshop and let them work on it. The parts is affordable, but time consuming. It can be tricky to access., and I would say the smaller fingers and body the better...so this is perfect job for a woman. Technically not difficult, and I did all of the above myself with great success. As a single woman and and old car, it is better to save the money for the major repairs and try solve the minor yourself or with help from someone in your circle.

Old 06-12-2021, 09:49 AM

Just to let everyone know... this thread is five years old.

Here's what happened: I removed the blower. It was fine, but I went ahead and replaced the brushes. I recall the brushes I received were slightly too big, so a buddy at work machine them to the right size (8 mm X 9 mm).

The problem was the blower motor speed controller. I replaced it with eEuroparts 5468152. Make sure you disconnect the battery before replacing it.

https://www.eeuroparts.com/Parts/311...lator-5468152/