Throttle Position says 16-18% when engine is off and throttle is closed

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 10:54 PM

Default Throttle Position says 16-18% when engine is off and throttle is closed

Hi Everybody! This is my first post here. I have a 2000 9-5 v6 wagon. My car stalled on me just after I passed a truck and stopped at a red light. We immediately started smelling sulfur big time. I started it back up and drove about 10 feet and it stalled again. I connected my scanner and it had the PO420 code. It also said my throttle position was 18% even though it is closed. I pushed the pedal down and it went up to 88%.

I'm pretty sure my cherry bomb cat is toast. It was $80 five years ago and I still got the 420 code every couple days even with a new sensor.

I am not too sure what to make of the throttle position readings. The throttle body is not in limp mode. Any ideas? I am not new to this car at all. My dad and I just replaced the radiator and lower radiator hose. Last year we replaced the oil cooler (v6 is in the engine) and timing belt.

Thank you for reading my super long post.
Old 07-18-2014, 12:09 PM

well we figured out why it ran so rich and wouldnt run anymore. the charge pipe blew off the throttle body. we didnt see it in the dark since the engine cover was on (this is a v6). the TPS readings are normal.