General Auto Related Help Area Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Convertible

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 09:23 AM

Default Convertible

Hi. I have a 1998 Saab Convertible. I love this car. But I have a question on the covertible top.
The back of the top is not secured. I can see 2 latches, and they are not secured in place. It is currently open in the back, so you can see thru the back, it's open by 1 inch.
I am not 100% sure if I am doing something wrong when trying to operate the convertible switch.
I am sorry, I currently do not have an owners manual (the car didn't come with it), I am getting one soon. Until then, I will see if anyone has any constructive suggestions that I can try.
I can tell you what I have tried at this point.
To operate the convertible top, (I assume the emergency brake needs to be in the up position), you press and release the 'roof' switch. Once we do that, we can hear the engine bog down, and we can hear the motor in the back. Nothing happens. I assume for this to happen those 2 latches must be connected first? We have tried different things, and the top has not moved one time.
Any suggestions would help! Thank you very much for any information!
Old 09-01-2007, 08:23 PM

Default RE: Convertible

hi mieko,

I just brought home a 94 convertible and what I know about it is limited but you are correct in that the parking brake needs to be pulled up before you can open or close the convertible top. for the moment that is the extent of my input but I will study mine and see if i can offer anything else.