General Auto Related Help Area Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Electronic ignition key failure/ Stearing column lock Jammed.

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 04:14 AM

Default Electronic ignition key failure/ Stearing column lock Jammed.

Saab 9-3, auto 2003 year 50000k on clock. Tried to start the car after a brief stop. Ignition electronic key would not work and car would not start. Tried everything, but no success. The Dashboard display indicated, Ignition lock failure." The auto gear lever was also locked. Car had to be trucked to the Saab agency.

I was told that the CIM module is faulty and needed replacement. Now Iam told that the entire steering assembly has to be manually broken to release a "pin" and the steering lock assembly has to replaced at a great cost.

I cannot understand why the steering lock has to be forcibly broken in order to repair it.

Any suggesions will be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-25-2009, 01:39 PM

Default RE: Electronic ignition key failure/ Stearing column lock Jammed.

hi, sounds slightly similar to what happened to me saab 9-3 auto 200339000 miles, just been towed away second time in a week with complete electrical failure, (funnily both times happenedjust afteri'd made a right turn) , lose power and stop in middle of road, cannot even take key out of ignition. dashboard display doesn't indicate anything. Last week saab said blown fuse related to short in ignition module which they replaced but obviously this hasn't rectified the problem. luckily still under warranty as bought the care from a dealer 8 months ago.
so did they replace your cim??? sounds expensive....
Old 01-31-2009, 07:58 AM

Default RE: Electronic ignition key failure/ Stearing column lock Jammed.

thou this may not be helpful to you ive found that when my saab is thinking too much or misbehaving electrically i disconnect the battery for ten to 30 mins and shes back to being a gd girl this wont help with any major issues but its gd for a confused motor