General Auto Related Help Area Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

how much is a new radiator?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 05:57 PM

Default how much is a new radiator?

i have a nasty leak in my 99 viggen i believe its the hose that has a hole in it, but its sprays out so much everywhere i cant tell....i think the clamp from the turbo piping is rubing against the hose.does anyone know what it wil cost for someone to fix it? can i do it myself?
Old 10-15-2007, 12:11 PM

Default RE: how much is a new radiator?

Hoses are the engineered in weak point of cars cooling systems. If there is a pressure spike the hose is designed to fail before the radiator or water pump. If you have coolant all over the place then you probably have a cut in a hose. Typically the clamp will cut into the hose due to the expansion/contraction that comes along with the heating/cooling cycle of an engine. Also, rubber hardens over time so hoses just wear out.

Replacing a hose is sometimes a pain because of how tight engine bays are designed today but it should be possible to do it yourself. I would recommend hosing off all of the coolant from your engine the allowing the engine bay to dry out in the sun. Then start the car and start looking around with a flashlight. Look at the hoses where they are clamped to the radiator. If your system is losing fluid the way you explain you should see fluid dripping out. Your fluid is probably dripping into the cooling fan and it is what is flinging the fluid everywhere.

All you should need is a replacement hose, go ahead and buysome new hose clamps and a standard screwdriver (not phillips).

Good luck!
Old 10-15-2007, 12:57 PM
Super Moderator

if a clamp is rubbing on a coolant hose you will need some sort of a spacer on there...a piece of an old hose in between the two components will probably work...
Old 10-15-2007, 09:11 PM

kool but how hard is it to get this bumper off?theres so much in the way that i got to take it off...i can post pics once its off
Old 10-16-2007, 07:16 AM
Super Moderator

The bumper is easy)) Undo all the screws from the bottom and t he wheel wells and after that it just pops off...there's pretty much nothing holdign it from the top
Old 10-16-2007, 06:35 PM

cool the bummer is off( thanks for all the advice by the way)and i got to the radiator hose....i pushed up the turbo pipng and felt a crack about 1 inch long and not realy split open,it doesnt seem like it would be making it drain so much but i guess i could be wrong considering the pressure....its not a hole its more of a crack and it was wet....i cant start the car b/c i havent figured if it is the DI but i guess ill order one tomarow considering its only making one plug spark unless its the wires?more work and photos up tomarow
Old 10-16-2007, 08:35 PM
Super Moderator

if it has a wet crack - replace it...did you look on ebay for a used DI? Viggen uses black ones so you should be able to find one relatively inexpensive...
Old 10-23-2007, 04:21 PM

yea i got the new di and its works and everything so i put it all back together and its sounds like it wants to start (its has the deep reving sound )but its just not enough to turn over.....when i had the plugs out i noticed a little bit of water i think that would shoot out if you try to start it but not its all out nowand sounds like it wants to start....its getting spark for sure and has good gass in it and i was jumping the car also but still nothing.....could it be timing? im tryng to find my camera or maybe a video to put up or maybe somone can call me?