New Member Area
New to Saab Forums.com? Stop in tell us about you.

SAABs grow on you

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2021, 10:04 AM

Default SAABs grow on you

I sort of stumbled across my recent purchase of a 2000 9-5 Griffin 3.0V6T automatic. I had had a torrid time with a brand new Skoda Kamiq which had repeated electrical faults - some of which I considered to be actually life-threatening - which, after 6 months of arguments and threats of legal action, was finally returned to the dealer. I then tested a new Honda hybrid thing which confused me completely and a Kia diesel which I liked. Then I thought that I would be again spending £250 a month on a car which barely moved off my driveway - then. I'm back in my office now but that's a 5 mile commute each way, so annual mileage is not a lot.
The day after deciding that I didn't need anything other than my 2003 MGTF, I drove down a road that I hadn't been on for 2 or 3 years and there was this Saab parked with a "for sale" sign. Very nice man took me for a test drive. I made an offer of £1,400 which was accepted and there I was back in the Saab fold, having some years ago owned a 900 with stratospheric mileage and a 9-3 which was too costly to get through the MoT due to brake issues and a failing bank account. OK, the Griffin does only manage about 22mpg but with an annual mileage of around 3,000, that doesn't break the bank.
Moving on, I have nerve damage issues in both hands, which sometimes makes the MG difficult to drive and also I am getting on a bit so climbing in and out of a low-slung sports car was getting awkward. Having a Saab meant that I had started noticing them around and about and I saw some lovely convertibles. Long story short, someone on Facebook in a Saab group advertised a 2005 9-3 2.0 Aero convertible for £1,750 with a brand new MoT and I have bought it without seeing it in the flesh. It's being delivered this Saturday. The MG has been sold - far too cheaply - but that's life.
Now I must behave. My record for number of vehicles owned at the same time is 6 cars, a van (Land Rover SIII) and 2 motorcycles. So, I'm down to just the 2 cars now and determined not to buy any more.
Mind you, if a nice estate happened to come up at the right price...................