New Member Area
New to Saab Forums.com? Stop in tell us about you.

Soon to be a Saab owner with questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 06:14 AM

Default Soon to be a Saab owner with questions

Just a quick intro, then a question.
As one can see from my sig. I have a passion for European cars. We have also owned VW. Nothing English or Italian yet. I have always liked the Classic 900 series cars, we actually test drove one about 18 years ago, but my wife thought it was too "foreign looking" for her taste. Well, our daughter will be turning 16 this summer and it's time to start thinking of a car for her. She ideally wants a Toyota Celica (last version), butfor a first car, we want her in something with more mass to it, in the event of an accident. So with safety being paramount, naturally one thnks of Volvo and Saab. Around here 99% of the Volvo's are wagons, one of which we own. Well naturally a teenager doesn't want a wagon. So my daughter and I were looking in the paper and she spotted an ad for a '92 Saab Turbo convertible. She liked what she saw. We proceeded to look at E-bay, just for better pictures and such. Alot of the Saabs seem to be sticks. Initially she didn't want to learn to drive a stick, but has warmed up to the idea since her "dream car" comes mostly in stick. I am certainly not going to teach her how to drive stick using my 911.
So what does this all lead up to? Is a Saab 900 Turbo Conv. a good first car. Other than rust, what are theother "look outs" for these cars. BTW this one Saab we saw in the paper has only 69K miles and they want $3K for it.

Thanks