Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic... almost anything goes.

Previous Owner.....

Old 03-21-2008, 10:23 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Previous Owner.....

I would have taken a new hub if I were you. Seriously, the kid screwed up, let him chew on his mistake. When I was a kid and didn't know any better I managed to crack 4 (!!!!!) camshafts that we were putting on a highly modded corvette... I had to pay for the set....it was more than I made in 3 months, but I paid for it....lesson learned and so far I haven't cracked a cam in 6 years. Airgun friendly grease monkeys need to grow out of it. I check my lug bolts with a torque wrench and don't allow anyone to touch my lug bolts at any place where I go. I had a huge argument at Firestone about it, but in the end I still got to tighten my bolts to 90 ft/lbs according to a properly maintained torque wrench.
Old 03-21-2008, 11:20 PM

If the hub off the parts car works out, they are going to refund the price of a new hub to me off the price of the tires. Then it's up to that boy to make sure they get their lost money back on the tires. Of course, if it turns out they have to order a new one, he'll have to pay for it and I'll be out the cost for a new set of tires. So, that's the reason for wanting to use the older one. It gets mea pretty good discount on the tires, for a part I already had, and the only person hurting is the one that messed things up in the first place.

I'd say the young feller learned a little bit of a lesson today. He's out the cost of a new hub no matter if they use my old one, or have to buy a brand new one. I was reminded why I don't like to let any garages work on anything. It's just safer to take care of things yourself. Not all garages are bad. Most all have a great mechanic or two in them, but they always seem to have bad help, that would rather tear things up then ask for assistance.
Old 03-25-2008, 05:54 PM

Welcome to the world of nintendo mechanics. Where most of us busted knuckles at an early age from bicyles on, most of these kids have only what they see on the tube, and not much training in what they can and can't do to a vehicle. I still remember beating (figuratively, though literally would have made more sense) my 20 yr old stepson over the head to get an oil change on a car we gave him- waited till it was ready to throw a rod to ask me why it had been knocking for the last two weeks. Wasted a perfectly good Buick Century.
Old 03-26-2008, 06:57 PM

Nintendo mechanics is definitely a good word for it. Their experience working on cars comes from games like Gran Turismo and Need for Speed.

Every since I was a little feller I've been forced to work on whatever wheels I had at the time on my own, with minimal help from anyone. I became one mean bicycle mechanic at an early age. There wasn't anything I was afraid to take apart and work on. Then I graduated to dirt bikes and ATV's. Then I moved on to cars and trucks.

I don't think I'm all that good of a vehicle a mechanic, but I definitely think I'm better than 90% of the kids working in shops these days.