Saab 9-3
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 9-3 won't start even jumped tho it did 2 days ago

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2022, 06:41 PM

Default 2008 9-3 won't start even jumped tho it did 2 days ago

Ok, for the zillionth and one time… I am searching for ideas simultaneously but felt I’d place an S.O.S. out too.

Saab 2008 9-3, 90K. Just major serviced but only minor things, running super. Until…

Won’t start. And it as if the battery fell off a cliff one morning. No real signs that the battery was sluggish and ready to give it up. Placed a fast charge on it and in 2 hours, started right up. Fortunately did not drive anywhere. Ran charger on trickle all night.

Feeling good about myself, next morning, removed charger. 4 hours later went to start it up to go have the battery and electrical system checked at an AutoZone or similar. Nuttin’. Took other 2008 9-3 (34K miles, cool, tho having the rough idle until warm issue and have gone about as far as I can and now headed to Saab tech in Denver, but…)

A day later just now, went to jump the first 2008. Would not turn over. Would not accept the key fob as it does when inserted into the ignition and things come alive. Lights work but dim to lights out if I fiddle for more than a few seconds. Lights strong if left on either the jump or battery charger.

I changed to fresh fob batteries when this started. Fob unlocks and locks the doors, but definitely stresses the battery. Lights flash around the exterior per usual, but definitely stresses the charge.

I placed my Tech2 on it when this started and no error codes, sigh.

Overnight last night, knowing I was going to jump it today… noted the radio had a message “locked”. Assuming battery was near flatlined is why. Or?

Charging car now to see if I can just get it to start so I can go to have the electrical system and battery tested. Have not had a whit of electrical problems, warnings, ever (so far).

Will place the Tech2 on it again to see if any codes have emerged.

Searching the internets and Saab forums for ideas. And posting this simultaneously. Disturbing tho is placing a jump on it and could not get it to act bright when fob is inserted, and when attempting to start at the same time….. click click click.

Battery 4 years old. So I keep thinking battery, then not, back and forth back and forth. Not having experienced this before… hoping this is a characteristic of a kapluey battery but even jumping it and no go, my mind jumps to all kinds of other scenarios natch. I will likely purchase a new battery given the current one’s age to see if that resolves.

But in the meantime, thoughts?

Tx

PS, for grins… have a 1997 900S running pretty well (and a joy to drive), 1999 9-3 motor running tops but tranny reverse starting to slip (but still a joy to drive), 2008 9-3 just serviced with no major concerns and running very well (till now, and a joy to drive with great new tires), and a second 2008 9-3 that is almost pristine except for this startup pulsing that I have chased down a checklist of things but have about run out of ideas that are within my abilities (and will be a joy to drive once I get past this start surge issue). Even bought a Saab shirt recently which I never have done. Yes, am a Saab fanboy, having had now 10.