Go Back  Saab Forums - Saab Enthusiast Forum > Saab Model Line Up > Saab 9-3
Check engine light with no other symptoms >

Check engine light with no other symptoms

Check engine light with no other symptoms

Old 03-31-2010, 08:18 PM

Default Check engine light with no other symptoms

HI all

We were out tonight went to the store etc. Got back in, the yellow check engine light (shaped like an engine) went on and did not go off when the other lights went off.
Conventional wisdom is gas cap or O2 sensor right?
OK so we got gas 2 days ago, would the cap take that long to trigger? We have like half a tank of gas.
02 sensor?
Other thoughts?
I searched this topic but everyone else had other symptoms with their check engine light
and the car is running absolutely top notch.
Any info is welcome!

Thanks!
Old 04-19-2010, 07:37 PM

Really hard to say, because there are a handful of things that can cause the light to come on and have "no symptoms". The EVAP monitor takes alot of driving from a cold start to run, so it can take awhile to set after a fill up if the cap is loose, and can take a while to go back out (on its own) once the cap is tightened. There are other EVAP items that can also cause that, like faulty purge solenoid or leaking vent solenoid. and thats just assuming its an EVAP code.

It could be a code for the thermostat, could be a code for the Ignition Cassette, etc.... the best thing to do, is have it scanned somewhere. You can either take it to a shop, or find a parts store that does "free code scans". Once you know the exact code number and description, you can start to isolate possible causes.
Old 04-23-2010, 11:29 PM

If you have a code reader see what pops up. If not take it to your local parts store. It could be a bad seal on your gas cap, you can try playing with it. If you get a P0455 message it can be a leaky hose, gas cap, or most likely like mine a vapor canister purge valve. They vary in price depending on the year of your car, mine was like 45. My car ran fine check engine light would even go out every now and then (most of the time when I tried to read the error). You can get them on e-bay if you are not in a hurry. it clear my problem up. hope it helps you.
Old 04-29-2010, 08:24 PM

My check engine light came on a few days ago, and I took it to the auto store and they said the code was reading something that had to do with gas and thay said most likely it was that I didn't close the gas cap correctly, sure enough I went to check and I did not close it all the way it was slanted. I also had put gas the morning before and drove it around back and forth to school, and the store and it didn't come on till the next night.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:34 PM

Default got a question about this,,,,

hi,
i have a 1999 9-3 4 door, 5 speed turbo, iv done a cold air intake and the tube that goes from the old air intake is now just vented due to no hole in the new tubing, soo the tube just comes out from the intake tube leading to the throtel body,

now theres oil lightly coming ot of that tube, asuming from the turbo, kinda far to be traveling, but why is that oil coming out? from where? also the oil light comes on at 1000rpms, or less, and only when the fan kicks on,? why?

the car has 200015 as of right now, runs good, oil changes, small tranny leak, i do travel quite a bit so every oil change i add 1/2 2/3 qt of oil, all synth, thanks stan
Old 10-24-2013, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by the blaab View Post
HI all

We were out tonight went to the store etc. Got back in, the yellow check engine light (shaped like an engine) went on and did not go off when the other lights went off.
Conventional wisdom is gas cap or O2 sensor right?
OK so we got gas 2 days ago, would the cap take that long to trigger? We have like half a tank of gas.
02 sensor?
Other thoughts?
I searched this topic but everyone else had other symptoms with their check engine light
and the car is running absolutely top notch.
Any info is welcome!

Thanks!
HI,
IF you face yellow light.
You can find reasons here : Flashing Check Engine, Check Engine Codes, Trouble Codes, OBD2 Codes, Diagnostic Codes - EngineServiceLight.com