Car will not budge

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2022, 04:07 PM

Question Car will not budge

1992 900S.

The car starts, and runs.
My daughter (its her car) was driving, heard a pop, and thought it was a tire (she has heard a blown tire before for reference). She pulled over to investigate. When she started the car and shifted into first gear to drive away (manual transmission) the car would not move. When I got to it, I started it and shifted into first and the same. I could feel the clutch engage with the engine and then allow them to meet to transfer power. I could hear the engine bog, as if was pulling against something and was going to die. I tried the same in reverse with the same results. The front wheels are completely locked up. Also, you cannot push the car in neutral or with the clutch all the way. The wheels will not turn. I am going to investigate the brakes tomorrow. I am in Alaska, the car is outside and we are having some serious winds and rain right now, so I have to hang out inside (for comfort). Thoughts?
Blown brake booster and now the brakes in the front are locked?
Busted CV axle?
Busted transmission (linkage, gear, drive-line, etc)?
Busted differential in the transfer case?
Blown brake something and calipers still locked (not booster related)?

Any leads would be helpful. I do not have the facilities or resources (tools/equipment) to pull and engine and do a tranny rebuild (unless you all say it is super easy). I did remove the cylinder head, mill the head, and replace the head gasket a two years ago and it has been good since then. I just do not have an engine hoist or a lift. Just a jack, some jack stands, and lots of hand tools.

Thanks ahead of time.
Caesar
Old 07-27-2022, 02:30 PM

Update:

I jacked up the front end and removed the wheels. Upon inspection the brake calipers were NOT locked in the closed position. So it is not a brake issue. With the car in neutral the wheels move from a “lock to lock”. Meaning I can get about 2-3 degrees of rotation before they stop, and then I can rotate back that same 2-3 degrees and they stop again. I cannot tell if the transmission is stuck in two gears at once, or if it is just busted up so bad nothing can rotate. I turned on the car, and with the front end still jacked up, attempted to put it into all the gears. The symptoms were identical in all gears, including reverse. Once I start to release the clutch, the engine bogs down and eventually dies. Slowly release clutch, and the engine starts to bog slowly. Even in reverse. When I turned off the car I could smell the odor of “burning clutch”. So I know the clutch is engaging with the engine, and releasing when I push the clutch in.
So, transmission seems to be the culprit.

Any suggestions where to look next?