Strange HID Upgrade Problem!

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 11:07 AM

Default Strange HID Upgrade Problem!

Hi,

I installed a 55W 5000K HID kit and used the factory headlight wires to power the ballasts. Of course, as many have discovered, the lights flickered badly (I think due to CANBUS system.) I purchased a pair of Flicker Eliminators from eBay and the flickering was better but not eliminated. So, I ordered a relay harness and installed it yesterday. I used the left side factory headlight wires to energize the relay coil. I fed load side of the relay directly from the battery (30 amp fuse.) This caused bad relay chatter. Next, I installed one of the Flicker Eliminators between the headlight power and the relay coil. Beautiful! No chattering and no flicker at all! I turned the car off and to my surprise, my headlight started to flash constantly. I waited for almost 5 minutes hoping it would stop to no avail. I hear the relay switching on and off. So I disconnected the relay harness and went back to the original configuration L

What is going on? I would appreciate any guidance.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:38 AM

Disconnecting the power feed to the headligts with a Relay will not solv the flickring.
What's happening is you see the "Canbus Check lights" signal flasching your HID kit lights.
With the original lights you can not see the check but in fact it is there but the High resistance of the cold Light bulb is not heated enough to lightup.

What you need is a CANBUS HID set or a DIY solution...(if your handy with a soldering iron)
DIY solution in Dutch (sorry)
I think the circuit speaks for it self.. If anyone is interested I will do my best to translate it (after permission of the owner)

Good luck!

PS If you use this circuit you still get a "light defect" signal on your display when the HID light really is defect so all works perfect!

Last edited by Chilly Pepper; 02-14-2013 at 03:42 AM.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Chilly Pepper
Disconnecting the power feed to the headligts with a Relay will not solv the flickring.
What's happening is you see the "Canbus Check lights" signal flasching your HID kit lights.
With the original
led lighting you can not see the check but in fact it is there but the High resistance of the cold Light bulb is not heated enough to lightup.

What you need is a CANBUS HID set or a DIY solution...(if your handy with a soldering iron)
DIY solution in Dutch (sorry)

I think the circuit speaks for it self.. If anyone is interested I will do my best to translate it (after permission of the owner)

Good luck!

PS If you use this circuit you still get a "light defect" signal on your display when the HID light really is defect so all works perfect!
Thanks for the solution.. I am facing similar problem and now I will try your way to solve it.. Hope it works

Last edited by MiltonVaughn; 07-16-2013 at 04:58 AM.