EGR Error Code following EGR valve clean

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 03:33 AM

Default EGR Error Code following EGR valve clean

2007 57 plate Saab 93 150bhp engine
EGR Error Code following EGR valve clean

I cleaned the valve and still had the intermittent light

The light only comes on when I start and Never when running - and its only intermittent - I have a code reader and its the recyc error P0400 code
So i took out the valve again

Cleaned it all with a toothbrush
Cleaned all the engine side
took the solenoid off and checked the valve worked and cleaned all that spring and valve area, and solenoid face plate
The solenoid Pin was in - as i would expect it to be , a spring holding it closed - so when the valve is needed the solenoid pushes the pin out
Is that correct ?

Why did i only get a light on as the car started - never while running - I assume the EGR valve operates during engine run - or is it only on a startup - the light came on even after driving 200 miles stopping for 10minutes and then started and light was on.

resetting the code - it then may be 10-20 starts before it comes on again

if it comes back on again - apart from a faulty intermittent solenoid what else could be the problem

Thanks
Old 07-19-2013, 07:05 AM

Anyone ?

now

I have a 93 Saab 150 BHP Engine and the engine light often stays on only intermittently when starting and the code is the gas recirculating error P0400 - I have a code reader , which also will read the engine running

I have removed and cleaned out the EGR valve (square onto the engine and ellipse onto the pipe ) and it was very full of carbon - so cleaned that OUT
I also made sure the valve was cleaned and used WD40 to make sure it open and closed freely

I also removed the solenoid and cleaned that with card cleaner and with WD40 - so the pin clicked in and out

fitted new gaskets

however the light still stays on - BUT ONLY when starting ( engine light never comes on while running ) and maybe only after 10 or more starts - if you dont wait for the check to finish it will come on more frequently
when the light is on it run fine, infact since cleaning out its running much better.

I have used the car and it runs fine on motorways at 70mph and also I tried using the revs 4500 in gears to see how it performed and its was great - also had someone follow me and no issue with smoke from the exhaust

resetting the code - it will now work for the next few days (about 10 starts)

the car runs really well
NO smoke out the exhaust
revs upto 4500 with no issues
pulls really well
been on a comple of 100 mile trips and it runs great

I have been on another forum when this first started , and advised that it maybe the ECU , which is under the front wheel panel
OR
It may be a sensor on the manigold

I have in the past had a steering lock warning come up - that has happened twice in the last 2 years 10,000 miles.

any advice welcome, as i do not have the funds to put in a garage and would like to get resolved myself if possible.
And certainly could not afford a new ECU - which i suspect would be in 4 figures

As MOT due in Sept , i don't want the light to come on when they start the car and fail

The Code reader I have will also provide some live information with the engine running

thanks