9-3 Death Trap

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 10:41 PM

Default 9-3 Death Trap

Hey everyone!
First time Saab owner, picked up a 03' 9-3 Vector for about 1200 bucks off a buddy and this thing..... needs love...

I'm sure i'll be coming to the forums frequently with 'save me' questions, but today I'm most worried about my steering. It's sloppy, and not in the sense that the wheel has a ton of play necessarily (it does, but nothing alarming). The steering seems to just 'give out' in turns, not get stiff but just lose direction on even the slightest of uneven turns. For instance in a good bend, if i hit a bump the car almost wants to just straighten out taking me right off the road.

I've checked the pump, no squeeling or whining belts seem tight. (refilled with proper fluids.) A possible related symptom however, when making slow turns (parking lots, parking, etc.) the steering wheel shudders and i get a deep groaning, growling, grinding sound. I've decided I'll bleed the PS as soon as i get the chance, but now the steering is starting to actually terrify me. It almost took me straight into a utility poll with my family in the car and now i'm really not sure I want to drive it.

So, what would you all recommend as far as diagnosing what particular component is actually at fault here? I've heard rack and pinion, tie rods (tie rod ends? is there really a difference?) the 'knuckle'?, anything really helps here. I'm trying not to spend a fortune replacing parts that don't need to be replaced, money is tight and i'd like to hit this one on the head in as few attempts as possible.
Old 03-26-2014, 05:49 PM

Hello there, I also have a 9.3 sports sedan. I bought it from the auction for 1000. 241 k. I had the same problems you are experiencing. My rear springs were bad and my tires leaned in really bad. I would take your car to an alignment shop and ask them to check it out. But it sounds like springs are bad