Blinking CEL

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 09:30 AM
Super Moderator

OEM plugs only. NGK PFR7H10 or NGK PFR6H10. The first one I believe are the preferred option.
Old 08-04-2009, 01:08 PM

Cool, thanks!

Had the car at the dealership today for oil change. They plugged it in to check for stored codes, and nothing came up. It hasn't been enough driving cycles to clear, or long enough time wise.

So I think it's been pretty much determined to be Weird Random CEL vs something expensive. I'll replace the plugs anyway. Can't hurt.
Old 09-21-2009, 01:50 AM

blinking CEL came on today again . . . twice in rapid succession. Flashed for about 5 seconds and then shut off. Then came on again about a minute after that, blinked for about 5 seconds and then shut off again. Didn't see it again for the rest of my trip home.

This time, I pulled over into the nearest gas station (needed to fill up anyway) and started looking things over in the engine bay, looking for abnormal smells, or fumes.

According to the manual, the engine is misfiring, which it stated has to do with ignition and injection problems if the CEL blinks for 5 seconds or so.

The first time the CEL came on, I don't think I was on an empty tank, but I did a hard flooring of the gas pedal. This time, I was just cruiseing calmly at a descent 67 mph. There was a slight incline, and I noticed that the boost gauge was still well within the green. BUT my tank was on empty. I was trying to make it back home without stopping for gas, so I watched my DTE gauge. I had ran the car down to 25 miles left before without a problem, and this round was around 45. (Didn't help that I was in the middle of nowhere and at 1:30 AM)

So, if I am having misfires due to ignition and injection, I've reasoned that perhaps the car is running too lean? It would seem to make sense as an instant flooring of the gas pedal would throw the TB wide open allowing a rush of sudden air into the engine. The next would be running low on fuel and having the injectors "sputter" not enough gas into the cylinder.

Would my reasoning be accurate? In either case, the car is going into the dealership Monday. If I didn't have a Dr appointment, it be first thing in the morning.
Old 09-23-2009, 02:29 PM

Yes, I am a procrastinator. Just bought plugs today. Probably be another month before I actually get around to installing them. Gotta look for specs on gap, then drop them in.